Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TERM not set -- how can I fix this, or does it matter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TERM not set -- how can I fix this, or does it matter?

I'm getting the following message during updates on 16.04 64-bit (up to date, as far as I know, using Synaptic, if that matters):

Code:
    debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
    debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)
    debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
    I presume there's a way to set my system's TERM so the dialog frontend becomes usable?

This may not completely address/answer your question, but...
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/50615...when-using-ssh
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Observer View Post
      ... during updates ...
      How are you running updates?

The "dialog frontend" using readline just means typing a response (say, "y") rather than, say, tabbing to an "ok" and pressing enter.

To answer your question, I suppose you could put
      Code:
      export TERM=xterm
      in your ~/.profile. For a while KDE (or sddm or whatever) wasn't running this before starting but the last time I checked it was being run so that all processes in the GUI inherit settings there.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

This is occurring while updating using synaptic, which I installed after installing 16.04 because I'm comfortable with it (and it works better for me than the built-in installer/updater suite).

Comment

Just a wild guess but ...
          Is kdialog installed?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Just a wild guess but ...
            Is kdialog installed?
            Unless it's part of a clean install of 16.04 or was added in an update since May, no. I'll see if I installing it changes anything.

Okay, rebooted to 16.04, I don't find any package called kdialog, installed or not. I do have one called just dialog, which is installed. I have just installed debconf-kde-helper, which I suspect does what's needed. Let me install something else and see if I get the same complaint...

Yes, identical message appears a couple times when installing updates. It also appeared while installing debconf-kde-helper.
            Last edited by Silent Observer; Aug 13, 2016, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X