This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSPA usb modem problem

I have installed Kubuntu 16.04 LTS for the fifth titme. I am not well used to command line. I will pick up. I am very happy with the look and feel of the OS. Kubuntu is working stable except one problem. HSPA USB modem. It is Lava 730G. I am staying in a coconut farm 12 KMs from the nearest town. Signal strength outside the house is good, inside it reverts to E. I have used best quality 3 MTrs and 2 MTrs extension cables and hoisted the the dongle up on to ceiling. I can get 4.5 MiB connection this way. Cable length is within limitations so that is not a problem. On installation HSPA modem works fine. Once I switch off the system. I have to change dongle in to some other USB port, otherwise I am not able to connect. I have installed Sakis3G. It fails to do anything other than modem switching. Gives an error after 14% of trying to correct that modem-switch is in control of device and it cannot do anything. I have updated and upgraded as per Sakis3G. 470 MiB download. No use

In another thread I read output of lshw and lspic helps in understanding what is happening. I am attaching a file with output details.

I think this is a bug in the system.
    Attached Files

Perhaps you can build a DIY 3G USB Modem amplifier? Here are several examples.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+modem+antenna
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek,

I think i will work with using an external antenna to the existing dongle. I can buy a new latest USB stick, I do not like wasting what I have already. I do not want to give up !

Comment

Originally posted by vsmmath View Post
        Thank you GreyGeek,

I think i will work with using an external antenna to the existing dongle. I can buy a new latest USB stick, I do not like wasting what I have already. I do not want to give up !
        Waste not, want not! Besides, making your own antenna amplifier will be fun!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement GreyGeek. I opened 730G. It does have a adopter just like what is in the video. I had attached a 160 mm enameled copper wire to my old Samsung. It improves the signal a lot. May be about 25%. But I cannot use a mobile with a wire sticking out :-). I can first try that on this modem. I am buying a modem whichever is compatible with Kubuntu 16.04. I have simply gained too much knowledge playing. My primary intention of going on line to work with Arduino IDE is side tracked. I am happy with Kubuntu which I selected for my box. It works fine. Amazon is shipping two day delivery to Premium members for free.. Let me take advantage of this. But first I need to know which modem to buy.....

Comment

Hi GreyGeek,
            very happy to say that my 730G is connecting at high speed than I had ever experienced. Persistence paid off

Comment

Hi GreyGeek,
              very happy to say that my 730G is connecting at high speed than I had ever experienced. Persistence paid off
              Great! What did you end up doing that increased the speed?

When you attached the 160mm copper wire was its length computed from the 1/4th or 1/2 wave length of the base frequency of your modem?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Great! What did you end up doing that increased the speed?

When you attached the 160mm copper wire was its length computed from the 1/4th or 1/2 wave length of the base frequency of your modem?
                In fact I think it is 1/4 wave length. Modem is hoisted up minus it's cover. It is in dismantled state now !

No, I opened the modem, but I had seen something on one of forums dmesg | grep tty, I used it and got;

[ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
                [ 1.088622] 00:04: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4, base_baud = 115200) is a 16550A
                [ 21.332225] cdc_acm 2-3:2.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
                [ 21.333440] cdc_acm 2-3:2.3: ttyACM1: USB ACM device
                [ 196.469017] cdc_acm 1-3:2.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
                [ 196.470015] cdc_acm 1-3:2.3: ttyACM1: USB ACM device

my modem is on ttyS0 at I/O 0x3fx (irq = 4, base base_baud = 115200) //this is great

You had asked someone to post to post the output of lshw and lspci, I had used those commands to get the outputs. All this gave me some idea where is my 730G.

In another thread I read about 40-modem_switch.rules, I searched and got the location of the file. made a copy to my desktop and added at the end

I searched for Lava730G manufacturer's ID. It is 1407. But Sakis3G is giving an output 440 connected. I am a bit confused.

# Lava 730G
                ATTRS{idVendor}=="16550A", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f000", RUN+="/usr/bin/eject -s %N"

but this did not invoke system tray Connect to make a connection, Now I tried using Sakis3G. This time Sakis3g did progress beyond 19% and asked me to input user API and Password, this information is not necessary as modem connects based on mobile number. So I typed airtelinternet to both questions. Now I got an output that connection made. But system tray applet shows no difference, it is waiting with "connect" prompt. Confused why I am getting a connected message I tried to connect. To my joy I was connected and getting very fast results. Internet was working like a charm. After about an hour I switched off and went to get ready for bed at 1:09 AM. When I was about to sleep I thought of checking once again. Switched on and modem is showing green light. Now I was scared, green means 2G. Tried and net is working fine. Checked with Speedtest.net. Ping 8 seconds, download >5 Mib, upload 2 Mib.

Sakis3G had direct control over 730G, system trey still displayed "Connect". There is no indication at all that I am connected, but net is working. Now I have to look for script to make it automatic, every time Sakis3g asks me to input 4-5 inputs, if I can put it in its script I am done solving this problem.

Today morning Plasma is giving some problem. I changed to KMail, Google does not like it, I was asked to accept giving permission to connect with less secure applications. I have given that. More than a decade I am using gmail, Now there are two entries in KMail. Gmail (vsmmath) and ..vsmmath. May be I will stop using gmail, as I said earlier I do not have anyone communicating with me by mail. I need to change mail ID's on the forums and some subscriptions. Too much of rant, I will try to put everything in a thread and post it as SOLVED. May be my experience will help someone else to connect with non co-operative modems. I need not buy a new modem now. After 4 hrs sleep got up to finish work.

Comment

Today morning Plasma is giving some problem. I changed to KMail, Google does not like it, I was asked to accept giving permission to connect with less secure applications. I have given that. More than a decade I am using gmail, Now there are two entries in KMail. Gmail (vsmmath) and ..vsmmath. May be I will stop using gmail, as I said earlier I do not have anyone communicating with me by mail. I need to change mail ID's on the forums and some subscriptions. Too much of rant, I will try to put everything in a thread and post it as SOLVED. May be my experience will help someone else to connect with non co-operative modems. I need not buy a new modem now. After 4 hrs sleep got up to finish work.
                  Great job on getting your modem connected!

I had GMail redirecting my mail to my ISP mail account and had KMail attached to my ISP account, so I could use KMail to receive or send (with my gmail address in the reply line) or GMial to do the same using my browser.

When Facebook, Twitter and Google (G+ & YouTube) said they were going to start censoring "hate" speech I decided to cancel my Google account. First, I downloaded all my stored gmail as an mbox zip file, which contained over 5,000 emails and was about 150Mb in size. Then I went to passwords.google.com to see what passwords Google had captured. I was surprised to see that Google even had my wifi router login name and password AND my wifi admin name and password as well! I never allowed my browser to "remember" my bank or credit card login names or passwords. Google had login names and passwords going back almost 10 years, to when I first started using GMail. There is no way to download the url's , login names and passwords so I manually wrote them down. Then I went to each and every URL and either close the account or changed the password. I then canceled my Google account. I set KMail to send to and receive from my ISP. I then imported all my GMail into one temporary folder. I sorted that folder by "From" and then did massive drag and drops from that folder into folders under my main inbox. Then I installed Kgpg and created a 4096 RSA key (took 25 minutes!) and added that key to the Cryptography tab of the Identity dialog. I'm running Kubuntu 16.04 that has the Neon repository added, a sort of hybrid, and it is running well. KMail is solid and fast for me.

Comment

WOW, GreyGeek,

You do have similar experience. I beta tested Corel Software and I was a member of Climate Change Experiment. From That time apart from my own website ID math@muggees.com, which I closed down as I stopped a business that we were doing when I was in Bombay. I found out how to transfer images on to ceramics. I was the only one printing this way in the world. So we had quite a demand. Finally sold the technology and quit. Those email ID's are lost. I regret that as I did not take a back up of my mails. I am using Microsoft software from 87. Started with Dos 2.3 which used to come on floppies. Whenever a new version was released I have purchased. I bought a Windows Mobile. I browse a lot and 5.75" screen looked attractive. I am used to OneNote, Office, XP Pro, XP Pro 64 Bit, finally Windows 2000 four copies. We were using 2000 Prof on all machines as it was quite secure. On windows mobile there was an offer to upgrade my system to OS 10. I went to Bangalore as my daughter has wired cable connection, 175 KMs from here to upgrade and to finish some chores. I regret that decision. Even to type if you on auto suggestion, I need to give permission to upload all I type. Otherwise it does not work. Office was permitted for 2 months than they want to save everything on cloud. Even earlier I used to get a mailer now and then what pictures I have taken and uploaded to cloud. They used to send these pics are safe. I did not care as once in a while it is OK. Now whatever I photos I take is uploaded to cloud. I took it up with windows central. Then sent a mail how to stop uploading all pictures. But even how many bunches of banana we have reaped, what is the weight and how much money I got will be taken for scrutiny. I used to keep a work diary to keep track of what work progress is there everyday with photos taken on those days. Coconut reaping every 45 days etc. If I need to upload all that to use my phone is outrageous. Spent four times my 1.25 GB quota per month. My XP crashed. I had used Suse 9 and 10. I do have purchased copy of them. That is the reason to change over to Kubuntu. It is not that we have something to hide. But there is limit on privacy encroachment. Now I want to sell this mobile for whatever I get. Scrutiny is fine. Let them do it at their expense. I communicate a lot on WhatsApp I know they can keep track of what is happening in our life and lifestyle. Let then buy from them our communication details. That is my contention. Chat has become a way of life. I am in constant touch with my only child my daughter. She goes to office at 6:30 in the morning and mostly in video conference with US head office. Her day is spent with administration. I cannot call her. All our communication is through WhatsApp. I did some over clocking of AMD systems, that was posted on Climate Change Experiment site. My thread was the most visited. Loosing all those memories is a bit of a pain, but we have to let go. That is life.

Comment

Two months of normal use and then Microsoft forces you to $ave your documents to its cloud because it disables local save? Forced monitization. It's a form of "micropayments" I predicted years ago that MS was moving to.
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 29, 2016, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Your experience is great if you predicted it years age. I trusted Microsoft, I got addicted to using this software may be. My illusion is gone now. Reality is hard to digest.

Comment

Your experience is great if you predicted it years age. I trusted Microsoft, I got addicted to using this software may be. My illusion is gone now. Reality is hard to digest.
                          http://www.qtforum.org/article/15055...5546#post63683

Comment

Awesome, that was 11 years back ! Glad to even communicate with you.
                            regards

Comment

Your suggession sparked off a good solution.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              Perhaps you can build a DIY 3G USB Modem amplifier? Here are several examples.
                              https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+modem+antenna
                              When Opened the modem everything was as in the second video where some one is taking out the socket and solder and external antenna socket. Well I noticed something else. There was a small screw fixing the internal antenna, a thin foil strip about one and half round at the bottom of the modem. I took out my mobile tool kit, a micro star screw driver opened the screw about two threads. I inserted a enameled copper wire scraping off the about 4 mm for good contact and after closing the case cut off the wire to 160 mm. Got it fixed in a 1" PVC pipe fixed about the roof with a aluminum 3 feet flat 3/4"x1/12 strip. Now my signal strength is mostly 100%. Connection speed is good. I had everything to do the job. All it needed was 30 minutes work !

Thank you for a inspiring bright idea
                              Last edited by vsmmath; Aug 03, 2016, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X