This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird plasma widget causes hang

I did a fresh install of xenial and it worked very well. But I do not understand the plasma widgets.

When I try to add a widget to my desktop, it just puts a sort of icon there with the widget name. Hovering over it does NOT bring up the side bar which allows resizing, moving and so on.

Worse, when I add a file folder widget and then click on the resulting silly icon, everything hangs. So now I have an oddball widget icon that I do not dare touch.

How do I get rid of the thing?

Aside from that, Xenial seems to be doing rather well.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

I think you click and hold the widget?
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Tried that. Left-clicing once now opens a dolpin window. Right-clicking gives nothing. And if I do this sort of maniupulation several times, plasma hangs. A konsole window still works, for instance, but the bar at the bottom is dead and the only way to reboot is with the button on the front of the box.

Very annoying. Not at all the behavior of that widget under K15.10.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

In Desktop Settings > Tweaks

you can disable the new "press and hold" method for showing widget handles. When disabled, the old method of hovering should work.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

My systems settings has no "Tweaks", not even inside one of the levels like Desktop behavior. Could you maybe a tad more precise, please.

Also, why does the folder widget not work like before?

Thanks.

Comment

Sorry, I meant Desktop settings in the desktop right click popup menu.

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Great! After that, I could remove the widget.

Attention: It only applies to the current activity and must be repeated for each one.

Comment

Glad that worked. It is an odd change they (KDE) made.

Comment

Yes, I hope it will not be adopted for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                    Glad that worked. It is an odd change they (KDE) made.
                    Originally posted by joneall View Post
                    Yes, I hope it will not be adopted for the future.
                    KDE is the probably the best desktop on any platform, but sometimes I wonder how drunk the decision makers are. For example, open konsole and press Ctrl + Shift + ) tp split the window. Run a command in one of the windows. What the Hell use is that? You can get a useful split by opening a new tab first but then trying to close it closes Konsole. So you have to use Yakuake as a wrapper.
                    If you're sitting wondering,
                    Which Batman is the best,
                    There's only one true answer my friend,
                    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Working...
                    X