Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network Manager won't save edited/new connections. Plus, graphics kinda glitchy.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Manager won't save edited/new connections. Plus, graphics kinda glitchy.

After using 12.04 for the longest time, I decided to upgrade to 16.04. Naturally, I'm having a couple of issues. I've got an HP laptop DV6-6110us with AMD quad core processor and ATI radeon graphics card.

The 1st and foremost, the deal killer I call it, is that I cannot save any new connections on the Network Manager. It's a deal killer because I travel and use a VPN when I connect to a public wifi, so I'd very much like to have a configured OpenVPN connection. Whenever I try to save a new or edited connection I get the same error: Failed to update connection: connection-gateway-ping-timeout: can not set property... 19635632 of type guint.... The issue may also be the reason why some users here are always having to type in their password to log into their wifi because until I deleted my connection and reconnected, it would do that to me.

Also, I've having graphics issues. I realize the ATI radeon does not have a proprietary driver for 16.04, but I have found that when I turned off as many desktop effects as I could (didn't need them anyways) it really improved and the programs opened and closed without going too crazy. But dialogues are still glitchy and I'm only seeing one or 2 lines instead of the whole dialogue box. I've tried different setting and right now I'm on Oxygen dark. I really would like to improve this, but I figure it'll get better as updates become available if nothing else.

So, any suggestions?

I experienced this too, until an update, about 5-7 days ago fixed the Network Manager problem.

The other problems you mention are still hitting my system, but less frequently as time go by.

You will need to be online to do the update...

This was a bug report filed and fixed.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I've updated my system already. I don't see why it's not fixed unless the network manager wasn't updated with everything else. Is there a way to check and see if it's already been updated and if not, update it manually?

Comment

Maybe upgrading to the back ports repository will help fix things as it has a much newer KDE Plasma (5.6 as opposed to 5.5).

Disclaimer: There is always an element of risk when using a back port style repository in any distribution so please make sure you have a working back up of any data which you couldn't stand to lose. That said, it's running so nicely on my secondary machine that I'm thinking of having another bash with 16.04 on my main machine.

Simply run:
        Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
        sudo apt update
        sudo apt full-upgrade
        Reboot when it's finished.
        If you're sitting wondering,
        Which Batman is the best,
        There's only one true answer my friend,
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

This is the Ubuntu bug report which may relate to the OP's connection edit problem.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1569674

The fix can be applied using a command line update of Network Manager.

As described in the bug report, this command will update Network Manager using the fixed library file:

Code:
          sudo apt-get install libkf5networkmanagerqt6
          NOTE: at the time of the bug report (5/16/2016) you will need to include the Proposed repository in your update configuration, if it is not already there. Instructions on how to do this are in the bug report thread, post #53:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...74/comments/53

[Further Note:] This is from the UBUNTU repository, not Kubuntu, so it may not have made it to the Kubuntu repository yet.
          Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 27, 2016, 01:41 AM.
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Got it! Still don't have my VPN going but that's only because it's hard to do (should saved the fricking files before I wiped and installed new OS).

Thanks guys! Saved my butt again.

Comment

[Further Note:] This is from the UBUNTU repository, not Kubuntu, so it may not have made it to the Kubuntu repository yet.
              all *buntus use the same repos.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
              X