X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another login screen issue

Ref: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post388063

I've got a similar problem, and have tried 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm' to no effect. The situation is autologin happening with autologin _not_ checked in Settings. With no login screen I can't even check what type of session is being started, but I get the standard one anyway having never installed or configured any other type.
    The script returns errors, not giving me a selection:
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    LANGUAGE = "en_NZ:en",
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LC_NUMERIC = "mi_NZ.UTF-8",
    LC_MEASUREMENT = "en_NZ.UTF-8",
    LANG = "en_NZ.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale ("en_NZ.UTF-8").
    locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

What's awry here? It's a major security fail - only childhood admonition to leave Granddad's stuff alone, along with their unfamiliarity with Linux (though Kubuntu's interface is so much like Windoze), is keeping 2 grandsons (17 and 19, and know computing basics from school) away from messing.

Probably something simple - I swear, Computing in general these days is so simple _only_ a child can do it!
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 24, 2016, 06:01 AM.

Anybody read this thread? MAJOR FAIL! Security issue ...
    Persistent login despite account setting.

I've been battling this for years! Original install was set up with only one account - me - and as Administrator, with Autologin. This was because I was the only user in the house, the other occupant being my wife who is deathly-scared of anything non-microsloth . We now have 2 grandsons living with us, now 18 and 20 and knowing computing basics from school. When the first lad arrived I tried to set up to boot requiring a password (and have been trying ever since!), but keep getting auto-looged-in. I've set up a different account as Admin and knocked mine back to 'noddy-user' level, and both with Autologin UNchecked, but my account is still being auto-logged-in by default. What gives? there _has_ to be an overriding config setting (or one NOT being updated as it should) *somewhere* in this labyrinthine system. Please HELP!!!
    Last edited by Fester Bestertester; Jun 17, 2016, 07:59 PM.

Comment

More woes! System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session: previous Default Leave Option set to End current session, then changed to Turn off computer. On Login left set to Restore previous session. I've never needed to save a session - Do I?
      Successive updates since 14.04 LTS have restored less and less of session at shutdown, 'til 16.04 now not restoring anything. WHAT GIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Fester Bestertester View Post
        More woes! System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session: previous Default Leave Option set to End current session, then changed to Turn off computer. On Login left set to Restore previous session. I've never needed to save a session - Do I?
        Successive updates since 14.04 LTS have restored less and less of session at shutdown, 'til 16.04 now not restoring anything. WHAT GIVES
        Bug 343518 - Plasma doesn't restore everything after a reboot : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343518
        --> Bug 354724 - missing some clients or windows when storeSession and performLegacySessionSave : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354724
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
          Bug 343518 - Plasma doesn't restore everything after a reboot : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343518
          --> Bug 354724 - missing some clients or windows when storeSession and performLegacySessionSave : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354724
          Looks like Plasma doesn't store anything (or enough previously) for the Restore! Shutdown or Reboot too precipitous for Auto-save? I've noted with 16.04 different screen modes during shutdown - readable left-justified display, random entries all over the screen, back to readable ... is there anything there that might help? This has persisted for too long - why hasn't it been submitted as a project for Randa or GSoC

Comment

Originally posted by Fester Bestertester View Post
            Looks like Plasma doesn't store anything (or enough previously) for the Restore! Shutdown or Reboot too precipitous for Auto-save? I've noted with 16.04 different screen modes during shutdown - readable left-justified display, random entries all over the screen, back to readable ... is there anything there that might help? This has persisted for too long - why hasn't it been submitted as a project for Randa or GSoC
            Comment #62: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354724#c62

At here, with the:
            - KDE Plasma 5.6.95
            - KDE Frameworks 5.23.0
            - Qt 5.7.0

Turning the 'Restore previous session' on and launching: Firefox, Dolphin, Konsole. Reboot...

The session is restored.
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
              Comment #62: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354724#c62

At here, with the:
              - KDE Plasma 5.6.95
              - KDE Frameworks 5.23.0
              - Qt 5.7.0

Turning the 'Restore previous session' on and launching: Firefox, Dolphin, Konsole. Reboot...

The session is restored.
              Not happening here - Firefox VD1 ( was appearing, but tabs had to be manually restored), Dolphin (4x) VD2, aMule VD3... Curiously, xpad (3x) VD4 is the only reliable restarter, but all reappear on the one VD active at shutdown. VDs = Virtual Desktops, but could also be venereal diseases the way this has deteriorated ...

Comment

There's gotta be something simple screwing up my system! A hidden file relevant to startup in particular. I've been battling this for years - I'm on the point of giving up and ditching Kubuntu, or at least ditching Plasma (is there a clean and simple way of doing this, and a reasonably usable UI alternative?). There are other issues here - persistent auto-login with no password query - TOTALLY INSECURE! and Blunttooth - find that word here - another Randa/GSoC candidate.

Comment

Working...
                X