X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba File sharing issue

Folks;
    I have 16.04 clean installed on both my desktop & laptop boxes. Both functioning well. Except for the followings:
    - The LAN printer on desktop is not detected by laptop and when I try to manually set it up, it will not connect. However, when I run 14.04 (on a different partition) on desktop, printer is automatically detected by 16.04 on laptop.
    - From the laptop I see the shared folders and can access the files on desktop and copy onto the laptop. But I cannot copy from the laptop into the desktop shared folders (access denied). Ditto from the desktop as well.

I have tried to fiddle with the smb.conf file to no avail.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

I used this site to network my two Kubuntu PCs several years ago. Worked then, so you might look it over.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      I used this site to network my two Kubuntu PCs several years ago. Worked then, so you might look it over.
      Thanks For the link Snowhog!
      This seems to be somewhat outdated and tricky to use. Since 12.04 thru 15.10 i have been using a smb.conf file, which I had safegurded, without any problem. It was working perfect on 16.04 as well, till this latest updating of the samba package broke it down despite of my choice to keep it during the package installation.
      I have bookmarked your link for later use. Hoping perhaps I might be able to correct the smb.conf file by spending sometime on it.

Comment

Maybe try installing the system-config-samba package. It provides a nice gui for managing Samba shares, etc. It edits the smb.conf file. I presume it's still available for K16.04.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
          Maybe try installing the system-config-samba package. It provides a nice gui for managing Samba shares, etc. It edits the smb.conf file. I presume it's still available for K16.04.
          Installed the package. But I get the following message upon lunching it:

Sorry--Plasma
          KDEInit could not launch 'gksu':
          Could not open library '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_gksu'.
          Cannot load library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_gksu: (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_gksu.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

Comment

Well, it's a ongoing problem with apps that are written to run in the Gome environment. It's looking for gksu in order to get root permissions. Trouble is, here in KDE we don't have gksu, we have kdesudo which does the same thing.

The solution is to either make a symlink in the /usr/bin folder to kdesudo called gksu: sudo ln -s /usr/bin/kdesudo /usr/bin/gksu

OR: edit the Kickoff start menu (right click on the K button, choose "Edit Applications") find the entry for Samba and replace the reference to gksu with kdesudo.
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

That will work, but you still get an error
              Code:
              Traceback (most recent call last):
                File "/usr/sbin/system-config-samba", line 45, in <module>
                  mainWindow.MainWindow(debug_flag)
                File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/mainWindow.py", line 121, in __init__
                  self.basic_preferences_win = basicPreferencesWin.BasicPreferencesWin(self, self.xml, self.samba_data, self.samba_backend, self.main_window)
                File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/basicPreferencesWin.py", line 97, in __init__
                  self.admin = libuser.admin()
              SystemError: could not open configuration file `/etc/libuser.conf': No such file or directory
              . The way around it is to create a file "libuser.conf" and copy it to /etc. Worked fine for me
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
                Code:
                    self.basic_preferences_win = basicPreferencesWin.BasicPreferencesWin(self, self.xml, self.samba_data, self.samba_backend, self.main_window)
                  File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/basicPreferencesWin.py", line 97, in __init__
                SystemError: could not open configuration file `/etc/libuser.conf': No such file or directory
                . The way around it is to create a file "libuser.conf" and copy it to /etc. Worked fine for me
                And what did you put into libuser.conf ?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
                  Code:
                  I also created file and run the package from menu, it worked. But on the ensuing reboot again it did not load. It seems that the package may not be compatible with plasma 5.
                  Last edited by marco07; May 23, 2016, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Code:
                    And what did you put into libuser.conf ?
                    Nothing, just an empty file.

Created some shares and checked libuser.conf again and it it is still empty, so i don't know why it is there, but the program will not run without it.

But on the pursuing reboot again it did not load. It seems that the package may not be compatible with plasma 5.
                    Works fine here on 16.04
                    Last edited by GerardV; May 22, 2016, 04:49 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X