This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

login screen on 16.04

I upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04 with only a few problems--two of which have been solved in this forum, one of which (no programs loading for Discover) I solved by rebooting. The only problem I have now is a minor one--the login screen still uses the Elarun theme from 14.04, despite my attempts to change it in Startup and Shutdown (system settings). It shows the proper 16.04 login screen, but even after I click on the theme and apply it, the Elarun theme appears as before when I reboot. I presume this is some of the 14.04 clutter left over from the upgrade, but I would like to have a consistent graphic content on my new desktop, so any help would be appreciated. One last question: is there any app which clears up this 14.04 upgrade clutter? I have Bleachbit but am a little afraid to use it for fear of wiping out something I didn't know was important.

Could always try a sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt clean && sudo apt purge from command line to clean up useless packages and config files.

Comment

The commands must have done something but they didn't get rid of the Elarun login screen.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
        The commands must have done something but they didn't get rid of the Elarun login screen.
        I am assumeing you did an upgrade to 16.04 from an older ver and done in place .

So yes you will have old ,and posably bad (now) .configs in place in your /home/you .

you can ,,,,,,,,rename the directories .kde , .config , .local and .cache in your /home/you to .kde.old .config.old ect ect and reboot.

the system will generate new defaults for these directories and the files that they should contain.

after rebooting and seeing if things work ok you could then delete the old ones .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for answering. Yes, I did an upgrade from 14.04; I was going to do a clean install but I can't seem to boot from a USB. Anyway, I don't know exactly where to find the files you mention. I used the application launcher, then Computer, then Root, but after clicking on a number of different folders I'm not sure which ones I should rename. I did notice a number of kde4 folders still around, but as I'm not sure what I'm doing, I didn't mess with those. Any further suggestions?

Comment

Open Dolphin and in the "View" menu option check "Show Hidden Files". This will show the hidden (has a "." in front of the name) files under your home account. Right mouse on the ones VINNY suggested and choose the "Rename" option. Rename them by adding "_old" to the end of each file name. Then logout and log back in.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; May 16, 2016, 12:21 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Did that just now, but Elarun refuses to go. It's not an important thing, but it makes me wonder what other little problems are lurking. By the way, Elarun also briefly shows when I shut down.

Comment

So, back in 14.04, you had Elarun as your login screen theme, which makes me think that you had installed KDM there to replace the stock login manager (lightdm). Xenial uses the new SDDM login manager, though any one you like can be used. KDM does not exist in 16.04/plasma 5, so it is interesting that it was not removed for you.

There is no Elarun theme for the lightdm login screen, but KDM has it, as does SDDM. I am guessing this is where there is confusion. You have KDM, ie KDE 4, so the system settings module that comes with it will not show up in Plasma 5's System Settings, so what you are configuring is actually SDDM's settings, assuming that I am correct in my assumptions, but sddm is not the one running

You can easily install the new login manager - sddm. Doing so will ask you which login manager you wish to use as the default. If sddm is already installed (and I think it is, since you are seeing the configuration module), you can choose which to use by running the following command:
                sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm
                to bring up the dialog to choose one.
                Last edited by claydoh; May 16, 2016, 03:14 PM.

Comment

SDDM was installed, but lightdm was the choice. I did what you suggested, and it not only got rid got rid of Elarun, it got rid of the whole login screen altogether. Since I'm the only one who uses the computer, I suppose that's not a problem, signing in without a password. Should I just let it go?

Comment

autologin may have been enabled somehow? Look at the advanced tab for it in System Settings.

Comment

You were right--now it's working as it should. After two years I was bored with Elarun anyway. Thanks to all who have helped.

Comment

I had this exact same problem. Tried looking into registering a bug with launchpad, then noticed there were 124K + bugs. I did an upgrade from within 14.04 thinking that that would some how have up to date packages. Anyhow, I can confirm that this is a bug when upgrading from 14.04. And sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                        X