This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking back: Install notes

First, the good news. Upgrade cured my 'single user' issues - it now boots completely to the desktop by choosing the 'generic' in Grub.

Now, a comment or two: during install (via 15.10's Discover (muon?) notification that it became available), I enabled the Terminal view. I got a long string mid-screen, then nothing further. Hit Home and other stuff showed, but not the current processes being undergone. Scrolled down (cursor key or mouse to bar at right) and Yay! current process, then nothing further. Can we please have a "carriage return, line feed" at each step so the Terminal shows what [is|has] just happen[ing|ed] to improve the experience in future?
    Then: I noted screen "zoom" out a step or three - probably a default restored, easily compensated.

Now, the bad news: Auto-logging in. I checked: System Settings > Account Details has my account the only one, and administrator - good - and Auto-login UN-checked, yet it auto-logs me in. This is a carry-over from pre-upgrade, I can't remember when that changed. Is there an overriding config somewhere? UTTER INSECURITY! Being the only user, I can accept my login name/string at the boot prompt, BUT it should require my password.

Nothing drastic since, and overall good work!
    Cheers, team!

Next investigation: blunttooth. Carry-over, from 27 months ago! and nothing improved. My 'hairy maids' failed at one point, and I gave up. Meanwhile LTS release 16.04, and I looked at it again. Disappointment.

What I'm looking for is computer audio out to bluetooth. I'm not finding it. OK, you say set output device. Am I going to have to do this every time I want sound? I think NOT! Doing that (also) cuts out the 3mm jacks.
    I'm not the only one in the house; I'd like the family / bystanders to be able to hear what I'm listening to. I'm currently using the 3mm jack(s) to drive an amp and 'cans'; being deaf, I need not only volume but also the tailoring of treble-boost and bass-cut the amp gives me, to emulate the hearing aids' tailoring. I'd like to be able to use the bluetooth to do this; it would eliminate the tethering cables Computer-to-amp (and particularly amp-to-cans), plus the mains power for the amp :Messiness! I could then use the 3mm port(s) for normal output to feed the environment at normal levels, should that be desired/required.

To do this, I need audio 'on tap' through bluetooth, either permanently available via a volume slider, or similarly available on demand on detection of a connected paired output device (the 'hairy maids'' Streamer bluetooth -to- near-field pendant) in range.

Look for it 2020 LTS?
    Last edited by Fester Bestertester; May 27, 2016, 10:08 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
    X