Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch langpack [kde-l10n-nl] removes plasma and kubuntu-desktop...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch langpack [kde-l10n-nl] removes plasma and kubuntu-desktop...

When you choose Dutch as your language during installation of Kubuntu 16.04 the result will be a plasma 5 that won't startup. When I use e.g. the English language and I try to install the Dutch langpack afterwards the apt returns:

De volgende pakketten zullen VERWIJDERD worden:
    (The following packages will be REMOVED
    kubuntu-desktop plasma-desktop plasma-desktop-data

I made a bug rapport of it https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1572494 .
    I suppose more people have this problem.

kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package and "It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop system packages are not desired." (From apt-cache show kubuntu-desktop). The other two are not meta-packages, so having them removed would be a problem.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you,
      I understand that. But the point is that everyone that chooses Dutch as system language in Ubiquety will have these packages removed and as result will have a non working system. I think that is quite a bug. More details here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1572494

Comment

Thank you very much for reporting this! In a few days I was going to install the Dutch version. I think I'll wait a bit longer.

Comment

I found this problem when installing a couple of weeks ago, eventually I installed the default version and changed the region afterwards.

This works fine with one small non-deal breaking exception, the Mozilla Dutch language pack cannot be upgraded.
          Firefox and Thunderbird do have Dutch menues etc. but an available update will fail.

During upgrade from 15.10 I did not see a problem but for the Mozilla package to fail afterwards.
          Last edited by Teunis; Apr 23, 2016, 06:22 AM. Reason: Weird C&P

Comment

How strange Teunis,
            Of course I have installed Kubuntu 16.04 in English but when I want to install kde-l10n-nl on the working system I get:

De volgende pakketten zullen VERWIJDERD worden:
            (The following packages will be REMOVED
            kubuntu-desktop plasma-desktop plasma-desktop-data

And it DOES remove those packages! Result: a non working system. This is the way it goes on my system.

Comment

That's why I stop(ped) short of continuing with the install of the .nl pack.
              I keep seeing a flag in the task bar telling me to install.

Comment

Working...
              X