X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't setup printer connected to windows PC

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is a Hardware, Software or a Network question as it combines all three.
    I am trying to connect Kubuntu 16.04.1 (fresh install) to a shared printer on a Windows XP machine. KDE Printer Settings won't let me just browse the network to find my shared printer and I can't figure out the correct protocol to tell Kubuntu where the printer is. I have given the host XP computer a static ip address, but don't know how to get to the printer from there. I have SAMBA installed and can see the XP's shared folders; though SAMBA is giving me a nightmare by constantly asking for user names and passwords that don't exist.

Please help,

Ben

Open your browser and put http://localhost:631/admin in the URL and press Enter.
    Click on "Add A Printer". Proceed from there to search for your shared printer according to how it is connected to your subnet.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks,

I've tried using that method before, I don't know where to go. Do I use "Local Printer" (i presume not since I'm connecting over the network)? If "Other Network Printers", Which Protocol? IPP, IPP14, HTTP, HTTPS...? There are no "Discovered Network Printers."

Comment

How is the printer connected to the network? Print server? Attached to another computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear earlier, but the printer is connected to a windows XP computer. I have file and printer sharing turned on and can print to it from other windows computers.
          I popped in an old live CD I had from an old Linux distro I knew would work and it was able to browes the printer at "smb://workgroup/computer name/printer name."
          Kubuntu has no smb option in printer setup so I don't know if this information is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by bishb25 View Post
            I'm sorry I didn't make it clear earlier, but the printer is connected to a windows XP computer. I have file and printer sharing turned on and can print to it from other windows computers.
            I popped in an old live CD I had from an old Linux distro I knew would work and it was able to browes the printer at "smb://workgroup/computer name/printer name."
            Kubuntu has no smb option in printer setup so I don't know if this information is helpful.
            Is dmidecode and libsmbclient installed? Adding those alongwith smbclient and smb4k should help.

Comment

I installed the packages you suggested and the Add Printer dialog now gives a SAMBA option. I entered the path to the printer I had discovered with that other live CD I mentioned earlier, but I still can't print. When I try to print a test page the print queue says the job completed, but nothing printed. Previously, I would get messages such as "Unable to locate printer" or "Printer not responding".

The printer is an HP DeskJet 1512 All-in-One. I'm pretty sure the 1510 series driver is the right one.

Print queue:

Printer setup:

Comment

Alternatively is it possible to connect the HP via Ethernet or wireless to your router? This would be a better long-term solution and allow easy printing from any device, including tablets and phones, in addition to any PC on the network. As well as eliminating the very out-dated and insecure WinXP's role as network printer-manager. I know it's not the solution you're looking for; however long-term it may prove to be the best option.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

This particular printer is USB only. So it must be connected to a PC or a network print server. Ultimately, the XP machine will be replaced by a Win7/Kubuntu machine soon. I'm currently building a new Dual boot rig for my use and my old rig (the one I'm trying to print from) will be demoted to the family PC/print server. Until I'm ready to make the move I need to print to the XP machine.

Comment

How many printer queues do you have? Does the queue you are using say it is connected to the smb:// .... connection?

Comment

I've added and deleted this printer so many times in many different configurations the print queue history showes many of the failed or cancelled test prints.
                      The current printer does not say if it is connected, it just says job completed. But it does not print. Either the kubuntu pc is not sending any data or the XP pc is just not receiving it.
                      I did (just for experiment), connect the printer to a WIN10 laptop and after much tweeking with the windows file sharing was able to print to it. Basically I had to lower the security down to "you can take my data just don't hurt me" level before i could print. Samba is awfull with the usernames and passwords! It keeps asking for them when there are none and when, in case of the laptop, i input the correct username and password it fails to authenticate! Maddness!

Comment

Originally posted by bishb25 View Post
                        This particular printer is USB only. So it must be connected to a PC or a network print server.
                        I'm sure you would have noticed it if your router had one, but in principle some routers have a USB port that can be used for a printer.

Regards, John Little
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Also, there are (somewhat) inexpensive devices, such as this one: IOGEAR USB 2.0 Print Server, 1-Port GPSU21 (Silver)
                          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

The laptop experiment proved i can setup the printer on newer windows versions. I guess I'll just have to upgrade ASAP. Maybe the cups and samba developers followed Microsoft's lead and abandoned XP too.

Comment

Working...
                            X