This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin has root problems.

I've installed Xerus using the 4/17 beta release on the btrfs fs. All was working well. I was using Dolphin as root (kdesudo dolphin) to move files off of my bkup HD onto my home account because some were owned by root. (Don't ask ... I do stupid things sometimes and don't catch them until later). After I copied them over I was using root dolphin to change directories and files to my group and ownership. A couple of directories I decided I didn't want, so I deleted them. They moved into the Trash bin. When I clicked the "Empty Trash" button Dolphin refused. I decided I'd delete them later using mc. Mc showed the trash bin to be empty, but

When I next wanted to use dolphin as root the files and folders refused to display, throwing the classic "the file protocol has unexpectedly died" error.

:~$ kdesudo dolphin
    QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
    Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
    QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
    QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
    and the
    "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly"
    appears on a red bar on the Dolphin GUI.

I also noticed that on the background Konsole window a line complaining of a null pixmap report is created for every pixel the mouse moves over on the Dolphin GUI, as you can see above. I deleted scores of them.

I can work around the problem by using
    kdesudo dbus-launch dolphin
    and the only problem I see using that method is that the hierarchy lines and file and folder icons on the left side of the listings only show when you mouse over them. But, it works, and right now that is all that counts. If I have any problems I'll use mc, which is what I used to use all the time for working as root.

Other than that I am having no problems. Btrfs is working great, as is snapper. Pretty much all the widgets I use are available or downloadable. It was a LOT easier to set up my HP P16006dn duplex laser printer on Xerus than in Trusty or Mint. 17.3 KDE.

In the process IDs I am seeing both kdeinit5 AND kdeinit4 processes.

Stellarium ran a little flaky under GL2 but runs fine under xraster with "crisp", at 40-58 fps.

It's nice to have btrfs in the foundation again!
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 20, 2016, 05:04 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X