This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few problems with Kubuntu 16.04, please help

Hi. I have already installed Kubuntu 16.04 and while I enjoy most of the staff here, I have got few issues I wanted to solve. Some are related to KDE, some to Kubuntu I suspect.
    1. This is the dropbox icon in system tray: https://postimg.org/image/vkbnwmyxz/ -barely visible. How do I set standard dropbox icon?
    2. Whenever I check update manager for new updates, it says my system is up to date. However, when I go to console and type apt-get update and apt-get upgrade I got tons on updates. What the heck? Do I have to use terminal to be notified about updates?
    3. Driver manager does nothing but "collecting information about your system" - this takes ages until I close the driver manager. Is this the way it is supposed to work?
    4. Unetbootin works very slowly. I have downloaded Ubuntu 16.04 iso and wanted to create bootable usb stick. When running windows 8.1 it took about 5 minutes, but when on Kubuntu 16.04 it needed 30 minutes!?

Thanks for any help!

16.04 hasn't even been officially released yet, meaning it is still in Beta testing stage. Any bugs you find should be reported to the usual channels at Ubuntu not on forums like this.

Comment

I have reported issue no 2. Issue no 3 has already been reported by someone else, so I have only confirmed this affects me too. Any idea about dropbox icon?

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
        16.04 hasn't even been officially released yet, meaning it is still in Beta testing stage. Any bugs you find should be reported to the usual channels at Ubuntu not on forums like this.
        it is ok to ask about things here, but yes reporting bugs to launchpad and/or bugs.kde.org is helpful and appreciated

Originally posted by melepeta View Post
        Hi. I have already installed Kubuntu 16.04 and while I enjoy most of the staff here, I have got few issues I wanted to solve. Some are related to KDE, some to Kubuntu I suspect.
        1. This is the dropbox icon in system tray: https://postimg.org/image/vkbnwmyxz/ -barely visible. How do I set standard dropbox icon?
        2. Whenever I check update manager for new updates, it says my system is up to date. However, when I go to console and type apt-get update and apt-get upgrade I got tons on updates. What the heck? Do I have to use terminal to be notified about updates?
        3. Driver manager does nothing but "collecting information about your system" - this takes ages until I close the driver manager. Is this the way it is supposed to work?
        4. Unetbootin works very slowly. I have downloaded Ubuntu 16.04 iso and wanted to create bootable usb stick. When running windows 8.1 it took about 5 minutes, but when on Kubuntu 16.04 it needed 30 minutes!?

Thanks for any help!
        Dropbox icon - I dunno. Mine looks fine -yours looks like it is only showing the checkmark, not the cloud icon. Have you tried switching to the breeze-dark icon theme, which might provide a white icon for it that will show in a dark plasma theme? (restart dropbox to see the tray icon change)

Update manager - fixes for that should be coming down the pipe, if they haven't already - they were staged in some ppas waiting for a couple of dependencies to clear some hurdles to get into the Ubuntu archives.

Driver-manager - known issue, no fix afaik, though using the commandline version (the command ubuntu-drivers --help for options ) does work
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1530523

Unetbootin, I don't know. Been using that a lot this week under 16.04 with no problems - if you tell it to use space to preserve things between boots, it can take a very long time creating that persistence space if it is large.
        Last edited by claydoh; Apr 17, 2016, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          it is ok to ask about things here, but yes reporting bugs to launchpad and/or bugs.kde.org is helpful and appreciated

Dropbox icon - I dunno. Mine looks fine -yours looks like it is only showing the checkmark, not the cloud icon. Have you tried switching to the breeze-dark icon theme, which might provide a white icon for it that will show in a dark plasma theme? (restart dropbox to see the tray icon change)

Update manager - fixes for that should be coming down the pipe, if they haven't already - they were staged in some ppas waiting for a couple of dependencies to clear some hurdles to get into the Ubuntu archives.

Driver-manager - known issue, no fix afaik, though using the commandline version (the command ubuntu-drivers --help for options ) does work
          https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1530523

Unetbootin, I don't know. Been using that a lot this week under 16.04 with no problems - if you tell it to use space to preserve things between boots, it can take a very long time creating that persistence space if it is large.
          Thank you, I have changed icon theme and it looks better now. After today's update I got new version of update manager and it seems to work fine. I will keep my fingers crossed for devs team and their work - hopefully no bugs with upcoming final release!

Comment

Working...
          X