This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade : Warning

I've updated two of my systems from Kubuntu 15.10 to 16.04, entirely different specs. kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade crashed at exactly the same point on both systems. Could be a coincidence but just in case, thought anyone else going this route might appreciate a heads up.

kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade crashed while configuring MIME types.

I couldn't save the error message but something about "looping" or a "a loop" before the terminal kicked back to the command prompt (invoked the upgrade package from the terminal).

At that point, KDEINIT couldn't initialize and both systems essentially went black. As Hitchhiker's Guide says: Don't Panic. Here's what I did and what you can do if the same thing happens:

1.) Logout (if possible)
    2.) CTRL+ALT+F1 (TTY)
    3.) (Login) (Staying in TTY)
    4.) sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock (This will release the -false- lock kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade had.)
    5.) sudo dpkg --configure -a (This will continue the installation.)
    6.) sudo apt-get autoremove
    7.) sudo apt dist-upgrade (normally nothing needs updating)
    8.) sudo apt-get autoclean
    9.) shutdown -r now

Thanks for the headsup, I'm about to start the upgrade. Will save this somewhere accessible just in case :-)

Comment

mite I suggest using
      Code:
      do-release-upgrade -d
      in a konsole instead ,,,,,,if the upgrade asks for input (and it's usualy doses) the GUI and your upgrade will crash.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny is right, an upgrade via the CLI gives you the option to enter the required input.
        Btw, this MIME question has been seen before and Muon had a way to do the required input.

I see so many significant differences between Kubuntu 15.10 and 16.04 that I won't even attempt an upgrade.
        I will delete all configurations from ~/home and do a fresh install.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          Vinny is right,
          Vinny is Wright (this is my last name) ,,,,,,,,I am Mr. Wright ,,,I am always Wright,,,,,even when I am wrong I am Wright ,,,,,,because I always do things the Wright way ,,,which is my way . LOL
          Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          I see so many significant differences between Kubuntu 15.10 and 16.04 that I won't even attempt an upgrade.
          I will delete all configurations from ~/home and do a fresh install.
          that is what I finally did ,,exept the ~/ part ,,,, I do not keep a separate ~/ any more .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            mite I suggest using
            Code:
            do-release-upgrade -d
            in a konsole instead ,,,,,,if the upgrade asks for input (and it's usualy doses) the GUI and your upgrade will crash.

VINNY
            Agreed. I'll be doing these upgrades via the command line from now on. Never had problems that way.

As to upgrade v. fresh install, the latter can avoid problems on "some" tweaked systems with proprietary drivers, but I've noticed no difference between the end product in either case. Also, in my experience, PPAs are automatically disabled via "do-release-upgrade -d".

Comment

Working...
            X