This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo Weather Widget no longer works

For a couple of days now, the Yahoo weather widget gives nothing other than a circle with an oblique line in it. Left mouse click on the widget shows the message "Error 1. Please check your network."

My network is fine, and I have all the packages such as qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel and qtdeclarative5-xmllistmodel-plugin installed. I originally thought that the Yahoo site was down, but as it is still not working, I am wondering if the problem is elsewhere.

Are others experienced this problem and has anyone found a solution?

yes and no ,,,,,,,,,yes I am having the same issue.

no ,,,,,I haven't looked for or found a solution myself .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I think yahoo changed their weather API recently, which broke all 3rd party apps/widgets using that.

I don't use Yahoo for anything. so I can't be 100% sure.

EDIT: https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        I think yahoo changed their weather API recently, which broke all 3rd party apps/widgets using that.

I don't use Yahoo for anything. so I can't be 100% sure.

EDIT: https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/
        Yeah, I just checked the github page for the widget. The author's already been informed about it, but his hands are currently tied. He'll implement the fix when he finds the time to.

Comment

The one using the Norwegian server worked for me but I noticed that in absence of a network it ties up CPU cycles.

The most excellent CWP and almost as nice yaWP have never been ported to QT5.

For now we'll have to look out of the window for the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post

what a novel idea .

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              what a novel idea .

VINNY
              Looking out the window gives current conditions together with a weather station - if installed. The other option is to do what I do and use the local weather forecaster on the internet. Before I go for a run in the early hours of the morning, I also use the local weather radar as I do not like to get wet while running.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                The one using the Norwegian server worked for me but I noticed that in absence of a network it ties up CPU cycles.

The most excellent CWP and almost as nice yaWP have never been ported to QT5.

With the plasma 5.6 the weather widget has made a comeback - https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.6.0.php

...North is same as south ?

Try Me !

Comment

North Pole, Alaska is an actual town just outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have been wondering how to get Plasma 5.6. I saw an announcement a couple of weeks ago and added the ppa for the backports
                    Code:
                    [B]ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports[/B]
                    and I keep getting the good old 404 error message. I then tried the staging release ppa
                    Code:
                    [B]ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma[/B]
                    and this gave me Plasma 5.5.5.

So, is there a ppa for Plasma 5.6 or does one have to download the source code and compile it?

Comment

seams to be fixed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what I did to get the fix (their was prob an easier way , but this worked )

first remove the old package

Code:
                      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ plasmapkg2 -r com.librehat.yahooweather
                      Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_share.so" instead.
                      Calling KPluginInfo::property("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::pluginName() in "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/packagestructure/plasma_packagestructure_share.so" instead.
                      Successfully uninstalled
                      git clone the repo

Code:
                      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/Documents/build/yahoo-git$ git clone https://github.com/librehat/com.librehat.yahooweather.git
                      Cloning into 'com.librehat.yahooweather'...
                      remote: Counting objects: 437, done.
                      remote: Compressing objects: 100% (6/6), done.
                      remote: Total 437 (delta 1), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 431
                      Receiving objects: 100% (437/437), 245.92 KiB | 64.00 KiB/s, done.
                      Resolving deltas: 100% (204/204), done.
                      Checking connectivity... done.
                      change to the new directory

Code:
                      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/Documents/build/yahoo-git$  cd /home/vinny/Documents/build/yahoo-git/com.librehat.yahooweather
                      make the plasmoid

Code:
                      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/Documents/build/yahoo-git/com.librehat.yahooweather$ ./mkplasmoid.sh 
                        adding: contents/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/config/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/config/config.qml (deflated 44%)
                        adding: contents/config/main.xml (deflated 67%)
                        adding: contents/locale/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/Messages.sh (deflated 59%)
                        adding: contents/locale/bg/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.mo (deflated 53%)
                        adding: contents/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.po (deflated 69%)
                        adding: contents/locale/com.librehat.yahooweather.pot (deflated 74%)
                        adding: contents/locale/de/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.mo (deflated 49%)
                        adding: contents/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.po (deflated 69%)
                        adding: contents/locale/extractrc (deflated 65%)
                        adding: contents/locale/fr/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.mo (deflated 49%)
                        adding: contents/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.po (deflated 68%)
                        adding: contents/locale/it/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.mo (deflated 50%)
                        adding: contents/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.po (deflated 69%)
                        adding: contents/locale/nl/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.mo (deflated 50%)
                        adding: contents/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.po (deflated 69%)
                        adding: contents/locale/pl/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.mo (deflated 49%)
                        adding: contents/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.po (deflated 69%)
                        adding: contents/locale/pt_BR/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.po (deflated 70%)
                        adding: contents/locale/ro/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.mo (deflated 48%)
                        adding: contents/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.po (deflated 68%)
                        adding: contents/locale/ru/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.mo (deflated 52%)
                        adding: contents/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.po (deflated 68%)
                        adding: contents/locale/zh_CN/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.mo (deflated 47%)
                        adding: contents/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/com.librehat.yahooweather.po (deflated 68%)
                        adding: contents/ui/ (stored 0%)
                        adding: contents/ui/ConfigGeneral.qml (deflated 55%)
                        adding: contents/ui/ConfigUnit.qml (deflated 70%)
                        adding: contents/ui/Yahoo.qml (deflated 79%)
                        adding: contents/ui/main.qml (deflated 80%)
                        adding: metadata.desktop (deflated 41%)
                        adding: LICENSE (deflated 66%)
                        adding: README.md (deflated 39%)
                      install and enjoy

Code:
                      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/Documents/build/yahoo-git/com.librehat.yahooweather$ plasmapkg2 -i ~/com.librehat.yahooweather-5.0.0.plasmoid
                      pluginname:  "com.librehat.yahooweather"                                                                                                       
                      Successfully installed /home/vinny/com.librehat.yahooweather-5.0.0.plasmoid

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

strange ,,,it quit once again .....

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          strange ,,,it quit once again .....

VINNY
                          Well - nice try, sorry you could not get it to work.

I have decided to remove the Yahoo Weather Widget and I have installed a new one by clearmartin. I chose to Download New Plasma Widgets and in the search window I entered "weather" and selected the one by clearmartin.

I installed two copies on my default panel and after selecting my location and that of my Son's location in the UK, I get the following widgets

Click image for larger version

Name:	Weather_Widget_0.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	643162

When I put the cursor on the widget, I get the following:

Name:	Weather_Widget_1.png
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	643163

When I click on the widget I then get the forecast and the 48 hour temperature profile, like this:

Name:	Weather_Widget_2.png
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	643164

You can have multiple sites on the one widget, but you have to select the Weather Widget Settings to change the preferred site. Sites are chosen from the Weather Widget Settings and clicking on the + yr.no. You need to use your browser and enter the site http://yr.no/place. This allows the entry of your location and the web site is then copied into the URL.

You can also make the widget much smaller so that it does not take up so much space. I am very happy with this and find it better than the Yahoo Weather Widget.
                          Last edited by NoWorries; Apr 01, 2016, 01:03 AM.

Comment

This is the one I've previously referred to as the 'Norwegian' because of the weather service used.

I noticed it tied up 100% of a CPU thread in attempts to update when off-line.

Comment

Weather Widget

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=169572

HOW TO INSTALL
                              - EDIT: Preferred way: your distribution's package manager or build it yourself (https://github.com/kotelnik/plasma-a...t#requirements)

ANOTHER WAY TO INSTALL
                              - Add Widgets... -> Get new widgets -> Download new plasma widgets
                              - find this applet and install through the first item with .plasmoid extension
                              - NOTE: this version does not support offline data cache
                              - Open Weather Map support
                              About Open Weather Map: http://openweathermap.org/about

Try Me !

Comment

Working...
                              X