This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 'looping' issue?

After my normal daily update (sudo apt-get update) and distupgrade (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade), I cleanup the package cache (sudo apt-get --purge autoremove && sudo apt-get clean) and am notified that:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
    libkf5kdcraw5* librawl5*

I accept the action.

Then on any subsequent dist-upgrade (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) I'm told:

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    libkf5kdcraw5 librawl5
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libkf5kdcraw5 librawl5
    The following packages have been kept back:
    gwenview
    0 upgraded. 2 newly installed. 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

First of all, what the!? I already removed those two packages with my cleanup action, yet apt seems to think they are still present and, it indicates that it's going to install them again!? These two packages go through this every time.

What's up with this?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

I know it is silly, but maybe a reboot after autoremove? I am not mastering any thing linux, but it is from my limited experience that some actions really only kick in after reboot.

Or are those packages only needed to roll out whatever it's being installed and then not needed anymore?

I am only guessing here, would also help me learn something.
    Last edited by Rufus; Mar 17, 2016, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      After my normal daily update (sudo apt-get update) and distupgrade (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade), I cleanup the package cache (sudo apt-get --purge autoremove && sudo apt-get clean) and am notified that:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
      libkf5kdcraw5* librawl5*

I accept the action.

Then on any subsequent dist-upgrade (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) I'm told:

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libkf5kdcraw5 librawl5
      Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libkf5kdcraw5 librawl5
      The following packages have been kept back:
      gwenview
      0 upgraded. 2 newly installed. 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

First of all, what the!? I already removed those two packages with my cleanup action, yet apt seems to think they are still present and, it indicates that it's going to install them again!? These two packages go through this every time.

What's up with this?
      This persists across re-boots for me on Xenial. Perhaps related, I get a notifier that I have two packages to update, but Muon Discover (which seemed to replace Update Manager after adding the ppa-landing repository) cannot find them.

Comment

Working...
      X