This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel 4.4.0-10-generic breaks Oracle VirtualBox VM

A perfectly operating VM. A kernel upgrade came in and broke virtualbox module handling. It complains that the linux headers for the running kernel can't be found. Rebooting in to the previous kernels (-9 or -8) fail to return the VM to full functionality. Again, the virtualbox modules; not all of them; fail to rebuild, and again, stating that the (running) linux headers can't be found.

Crap.

Added:

Filed a kernel bug report: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=113651
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 03, 2016, 10:30 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

What version of VirtualBox are you running? It says 5.0.0 in the bug report. I think you'll need to be on a newer version.

I check the change log for kernel support when a new version of VirtualBox is released.
    Changelog for VirtualBox 5.0

I also track the forums to see if there are issues with the latest version before taking the plunge.
    Discuss the 5.0.14 release

I have a Fedora 23 guest. I saw the kernel 4.4 in the in the Fedora updates and installed the latest VirtualBox, 5.0.14, first on my host and the guest additions for the guest. Then I was able to take the kernel update without issue.

I'm also running Kubuntu 16.04 as a virtual guest without issue.
    sigpic

Comment

Well, maybe......

Okay, my VM informed me that a newer Guest Additions was available: 5.0.16 -- which matches the version of Oracle VirtualBox I'm running. Downloaded the .iso and selected it for use with the VM and launched. Fired up Dolphin as root and ran the linux guest additions shell. The build went without errors, and was told to restart the VM to make sure. Did so, and guess what? Normal functioning VM again. Happy camper.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X