X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doanloaded, burned, installed

looks like 15.10.

Amarok still doesn't play .pls but that is just the backend problem.

KDEconnect works.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Any permissions issues? 14.10 is a permissions nightmare. Ive had to manually set permissions and change ownership of just about everything. Massive headache...

Comment

14.10 had permission issues?
      It was the most stable release I've ever seen

And I can't recall ever having had significant (not self-induced) permission issues.

Woody, good you've got KDEConnect working on 15.10, here it doesn't go beyond two directories, Camera pictures and All files.
      Maybe a permission issue...

Comment

Really? Every day I find that I dont have permission to use something else. Just yesterday I tried using my webcam for a google hangouts chat and found that my camera was not part of the correct group and that I didnt have permission to access it. Had to change the group, give myself permission, and login again just to use it. Every day there is something new. 14.10 is the worst Kubuntu release Ive ever used. Think I might stick with the LTS releases from now on...

Comment

But in the light of these many problems why do you continue using a distro that's no longer supported?
          It sounds there have been problems from the original installation, I would have replaced it long ago.

I mean, Linux is not Windows what can take half a day to install, reboot, rinse and repeat.

Comment

Well, the only "irritating" thing is KDEWallet, It wouldn't let me get onto my wireless rounter until I put a password into the thing.

The irritating thing is that it has the usual three popups for the same password which is STRICTLY enforced and then wireless appears.

I am quite aware that a lot of people need KDEwallet but it has always been a hassle in many variations over many installs.

I actually tried removing passowrds from it one time and removing it and it just borked the whole thing.

The only other caveat is that I REALLY LIKE semitransparent desktop folders and posted elsewhere.

I added in the MAYA desktop theme from the community but didn't realize......

that it made what are called "Make windows translucent under different conditions" under Desktop Effects / Translucency........ REALLY as in REALLY transparent for the drop down menus in Synaptic! :0 I mean REALLY transparent and dimmed text.

I set the theme back to default in Workspace theme and "selected" Breeze twice with shutting down between selections and STILL had the drop down in Synaptic so transparent as to be almost unuseable.

After I found the particular setting as noted above the dropdown is now back to the "normal" breeze colour.

But in an addition I installed WINE and also my to absolutely necessary apps, a test generator and a crossword maker and the install for all three was very fast and the apps run as if it were in a native Windblows machine.

So, so far it is running fine.

As i posted elsewhere, I have also installed Netrunner to try out a "rolling release" but the repositiories for the selection from Manjaro are very well...... truncated.... I cannot get anywhere near installing WINE as far as I can determine so, there are other apps that I use regularly that are not in the repos....I'll keep fiddling with it because it is rolling but as always, Kubu is my goto distro.

just no transluscent desktop folders! lol

aaahh well..

woodsmoke
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 01, 2016, 06:19 PM.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              But in the light of these many problems why do you continue using a distro that's no longer supported?
              It sounds there have been problems from the original installation, I would have replaced it long ago.

I mean, Linux is not Windows what can take half a day to install, reboot, rinse and repeat.
              Im an idiot. 15.10. What year is it??

Comment

What year is it??
                My guess would be 2016.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  My guess would be 2016.
                  Thanks. That explains a lot.

Comment

Glad it worked, it was my best guess, actually, and I was out of ideas.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                    X