X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games + Steam = Not smooth

Hi all,

I reinstalled Steam on my new Kubuntu 15.10 setup and Steam works fine. However when i play games (Half-Life, Bastion), they unfortunately aren't running as smoothly as they used to be. I have annoying little but noticeable flicks and the game gives the impression to "hang" a little bit which was never the case before.

Have someone experienced these problemes before ?

I have Intel HD integrated graphics (which i updated to the latest version hoping it would solve the problem).

Cheers

Red

It's me again answering to myself

I found the solution for this actually. Basically you need to tweak your compositor options. By switching it totally off (disable compositor on startup for example) you get the best gaming performance.

Does someone know a way by any chance to disable the compositor with a keyboard shortcut ?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 20, 2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

alt-shift-f12

also, there should be a setting there to suspend compositor for full-screen windows.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        alt-shift-f12

also, there should be a setting there to suspend compositor for full-screen windows.
        Brilliant. Thanks a lot.

There's a setting in compositor indeed but it specifies that it doesn't work on every hardware (apparently mine isn't compatible indeed).

Anyway to force it ?

Comment

Did you try it? The warning itself is just saying that it might not work for everyone.

Comment

I tried. Doesn't work

Comment

couple of ideas:
              https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...127617#p339469
              Last edited by claydoh; Feb 20, 2016, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                Cool stuff. I don't really understand how to make it happen with steam though.

Comment

This should work:

Copy and paste the following code into a text file (SteamStart.sh) and save the file somewhere (I have a "Scripts" folder just for little things like this).

Open a terminal and change to the "Scripts" folder. Make the script file executable (chmod +x SteamStart.sh).

To make the Kickoff Start menu entry for Steam start with this script (rather than run Steam directly), right mouse click on the "K" start menu icon, choose Edit Applications. Find the entry for Steam and change the entry to point to your script file.

Code:
                  #!/bin/sh
                  qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor suspend
                  /usr/bin/steam %U
                  wait
                  qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor resume
                  Last edited by Rod J; Feb 21, 2016, 09:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
                  Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                  Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Sorry for the long silence guys, i had to deal with some life issues.

@Rod J: Your solution worked. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X