This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get critical [default?] packages back

I have a rather unique problem. I wanted to try out pcsx2 to see if i could get my games to run at higher quality than on my actual PS2. I installed it via muon package manager (what can i say, i prefer it). Unfortunately, the app crashes every time I tried to boot it.

Naturally, I uninstalled it to save on memory. For some reason, muon simply went nuts and started uninstalling lots of critical packages in addition to pcsx2. I'm not sure what all is gone, but i'm afraid to reboot, turn my computer off, or do anything else that might clear my ram because I'm afraid of not being able to get KDE to boot again. Chunks of plasma seem to be gone (like titlebars and certain icons) and I'm not sure what all is now missing. How can I safely get those system packages back when I don't know what is now missing?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Btw, I'm not sure if any critical packages are missing relating to X, the kernel, etc.

Oops - What Happened ?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxLogFiles
    One of the things which makes GNU/Linux a great operating system is that virtually anything and everything happening on and to the system may be logged in some manner...

apt logs: /var/log/apt/history.log
    dpkg logs: /var/log/dpkg.log

Update Logs: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...36-Update-Logs

List of (recent) removed packages:
    Code:
    grep remove /var/log/dpkg.log
    Try Me !

Comment

Just re-install the "kubuntu-desktop".

sudo apt-get --reinstall kubuntu-desktop
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Just re-install the "kubuntu-desktop".

sudo apt-get --reinstall kubuntu-desktop
        This should give you back everything that is installed on the default install...although the proper syntax of the command is:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get --reinstall install kubuntu-desktop
        But you should also check the logs (pointed out by LinkBot) for any removal of packages you've personally installed on top of the "default install".

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
          This should give you back everything that is installed on the default install...although the proper syntax of the command is:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get --reinstall install kubuntu-desktop
          Hummm I always thought it was
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install --reinstall <package>
          and dose work in this syntax.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Either way works.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Either way works.
              indeed ,,,,BUT , when talking "proper syntax" ,,,, I believe the main option comes first (install) then a "-" or "--" switch or modifier to the main option.

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Well, yes, but this is Linux; you aren't (necessarily) constrained to just one option.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  indeed ,,,,BUT , when talking "proper syntax" ,,,, I believe the main option comes first (install) then a "-" or "--" switch or modifier to the main option.

VINNY
                  If you look at the man page of apt-get, it shows the syntax as: "apt-get [options] {command}", which technically means "apt-get --reinstall install", but either way works...the important thing is including the {command} part (install). (Still, I'd recommend getting into the habit of following the man page syntaxes of commands, as some commands are pickier than apt-get about the correct syntax)
                  Last edited by kubicle; Dec 26, 2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for catching that Kubicle!
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                      If you look at the man page of apt-get, it shows the syntax as: "apt-get [options] {command}", which technically means "apt-get --reinstall install", but either way works...the important thing is including the {command} part (install). (Still, I'd recommend getting into the habit of following the man page syntaxes of commands, as some commands are pickier than apt-get about the correct syntax)
                      I stand corrected ,,,,,the man page dose state this .

it just seems backwards to me still however .

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! With your help, I was able to get the packages back.

Comment

Working...
                        X