Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QuiteRSS - anyone got it working on Wily?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QuiteRSS - anyone got it working on Wily?

QuiteRSS cant update feeds for me, it freezes.
    Qt apps not working on KDE now? Do I have to getdeb it?
    Akregator, RSSOwl and Liferea suck, and by chance I know it works on some other Plasma 5 distros.
    Did anyone got it to work coz it's driving me crazy.

Never ever heard of it, a link might have been handy. You get it from the repos or their ppa? getdeb??

Anyhoo, the Ubuntu version is up to date, however it is one of those "Universe" packages automagically imported over from Debian. ie it is not something maintained by Ubuntu, and may or may not have someone from the greater community keeping tabs on it.

Their ppa has no Wily packages, and I don't see anything about a getdeb package anywhere.

Likely the imported debian package doesn't run due to differing Qt or other system library versions, and so few *buntu users use it that no one has reported any bugs on this.

Manually installing the Vivid package from the quiterss ppa works just dandy for me
    https://launchpad.net/~quiterss/+arc...erss/+packages
    But you'd have to use Muon Package Manager to "pin" the package to the ppa version, as the Ubuntu version naming will make it want to "upgrade" to the broken package.

Comment

Thank You for response claydoh.
      Apparently it is that Universe package with dfsg cr@p (0.18.2+dfsg-1). And it runs, just freezes while updating feeds.
      Tried to build it from source, had some unsolved dependencies problem (can't remember which one now) although I checked them manually.
      I work in Qt, they are strict in their backward compatibility policy, so I doubt Qt libraries are the problem, and it worked in Manjaro.
      Anyhoo, I would really like to learn that neat trick of "pinning" the package to the ppa version, If You would be so kind.
      Sure, I can google it but why not make a small talk.
      P.S.: If I add QuiteRSS PPA, I can search in Muon by sources, is that what You think by "pinning"?

Comment

PinningHowto - Community Help Wiki
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Pinning is keeping a package at a particular version, to keep it from upgrading.

The problem with the debian package in Universe is that iirc it is not actually rebuilt for Ubuntu, but imported into the repos when Ubuntu takes the snapshot of Debian it bases it's next release on , and there are just enough differences to file names and locations to break things as Ubuntu takes shape

Also, it would be trivial for the quiterss folks to add a Wily build to their ppa.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by claydoh; Dec 13, 2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

@ claydoh
            You were right on all accounts: Universe package, Qt 4, deprecated classes, ppa vivid package...
            I went to launchpad following Your advice and, luckily, they even offer deb for download for n00bs like myself, so I didn't even had to add it to the sources list. And it works well.
            I friendly advised QuiteRSS guys on their forum that it would be foolish to neglect Ubuntu issues, it's up to them.
            Thanks again claydoh, You are THE saviour of time and nerves.
            @ Snowhog
            Thanks for the link, it's very useful info.

Comment

Working...
            X