Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will Plasma 5.5 get backported to Kubuntu 15.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will Plasma 5.5 get backported to Kubuntu 15.10?

Just curious when 15.10 will get Plasma 5.5 backported, assuming this is the right place to post this sort of question. (Perhaps an IRC channel is more appropriate?)

Thanks!

It hasn't quite landed in Xenial, yet so that has to happen first.

As usual, there is no ETA, especially as real-life situations have taken away time from the folks doing the packaging.

Comment

Cheers! Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I would really like to know what's going on with kubuntu lately. Plasma 5.5 comes out, no updates, 5.5.1 comes out, no updates. No new news on kubuntu site since october 23, 2015. Is kubuntu finished and I should be looking for another distro?
        Alienware 17 R2
        ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
        ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
        Nvidia Graphics
        16 Ram
        Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg538 View Post
          I would really like to know what's going on with kubuntu lately. Plasma 5.5 comes out, no updates, 5.5.1 comes out, no updates. No new news on kubuntu site since october 23, 2015. Is kubuntu finished and I should be looking for another distro?
          Historically, updates to Kubuntu often are not as immediate as as for distros like Arch. Real people with real lives do this, and sometimes this intrudes. We should see Plasma 5.5.1 and other updates once people get back from family and day-job obligations. We had one release manager/distro leader, who worked full-time on Kubuntu, and was employed to do so. Now, after he was forced out, we did replace him with 2 people, but they both are not full time, nor paid. Patience is appreciated.

We got plasma 5.4.3 pretty much immediately at release, but that is not the norm. It has only been a week, fer cryin' out loud , we ain't a rolling release here.

https://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5 this shows a rather blisteringly fast release schedule, c'mon- one week between 5.5.0 and 5.5.1?? Really, KDE??

Yes, there needs to be more news posted on the website, this has already been noted and discussed.

Comment

If you are really interested in Plasma 5.5, and are willing to take a risk, you can install the latest distribution of Xenial which has not even reached Alpha 1, it has Plasma 5.5.1. Otherwise, as Claydoh implies, you will have to wait.

Comment

No, Xenial does NOT have Plasma 5.5.x yet.

Qt version is not the same as Plasma. Xenial is still the same desktop as Wily atm, just with a newer kernel, and built against a newer version of the qt libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                No, Xenial does NOT have Plasma 5.5.x yet.

Qt version is not the same as Plasma. Xenial is still the same desktop as Wily atm, just with a newer kernel, and built against a newer version of the qt libraries.
                Yes, you are quite right and I stand corrected. My only excuse for making such a claim is that it was a Senior's Moment and I proceeded without checking my claim. I must say that I find Xenial is excellent at the moment.

Comment

What I was hoping is that the updates will fix some of the problems with 15.10. DVD burning not working right, Vuze complaining ffmpeg not installed when it is, which is a vuze problem I guess. Plus numerous other problems. And I gather by your "being forced out" comment that maybe there is something going on. I know volunteers work on Kubuntu but I thought they did so to make a better OS and not for financial gain. If the later is true than Kubuntu will disappear like Linspire did I suppose. Either way I'm sure I will comfortably switch to another distro to give my time and financial support to.
                  Alienware 17 R2
                  ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
                  ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                  Nvidia Graphics
                  16 Ram
                  Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

Plasma updates will not fix DVD burning problems, nor Vuze.

Financial gain has nothing to do with Kubuntu at all, sponsored developers or not. You can go wherever you want, whenever you want to, that is fine, but I do beg request patience while people get back home from funerals and overtime hours at day jobs.

We have been much later with updates than a week over the years, and as usual we can't offer strong eta's on updates.

Comment

What I was hoping is that the updates will fix some of the problems with 15.10. DVD burning not working right, Vuze complaining ffmpeg not installed when it is, which is a vuze problem I guess. Plus numerous other problems.
                      I must say that I do not have any trouble with DVD burning. If I want to burn a DVD from say an mp4 file, I use DeVeDe which has many options for creating menus and titles. Alternately, there is K3b which also does ripping and copying DVD's. For either of these you can explore the menu options as well as get lots of help by searching the internet. I am sorry to that you are having so much trouble and hope this gives you some options to explore.

I must say that I have never heard of Vuze. I did find a review by PC Mag that reported a "Con" as being:
                      Code:
                      Much larger memory footprint than other clients.  Installs in several pieces.  
                      No Linux version.  Vuze HD network and video transcoding hit or miss, 
                      depending on formats and devices.

Comment

This isn't entirely off-topic, but can anyone recommend a solid rolling-release KDE distro?

Comment

Siduction linux.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                            This isn't entirely off-topic, but can anyone recommend a solid rolling-release KDE distro?
                            Lol solid and rolling-release are slightly contradictory.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            Siduction linux.
                            But do they have Plasma 5.5.x? Not really rolling if they don't keep up

Comment

The OP asked for a 'solid rolling-release'. He didn't caveat it with 'bleeding edge'.

Siduction is a true rolling-release featuring KDE. dibl can speak to how well it works; he has been using it now for quite some time.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X