This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add-Fonts Failure

The Font app in System Settings seems to be comprehensively crocked. I was happy with the pre-installed fonts, but got greedy. Adding fonts is a problem in 15.10.

I notice that the fonts added by Wine (with the accepted licence) install OK and in the Linux 'fonts folder' (I assume that dpkg compiles them into a single fonts file), not the Windows fonts folder and so I assume the underlying font installation processes are fine.

Just to note: I install fonts, system-wide, so that I can still read full documents when acting as a sudoer.

The Font Management app fails in a number of ways:

* The add font requester immediately opens the first font clicked on and starts to install it. The authorisation request crashes, restarts, but there is no installation.

* If the Control and Shift keys are used to select a range of fonts (say, a font family) the request for authorisation appears and crashes after password entry. A notice appears to say that the authorisation process has restarted, but the font installation does not progress.

* If one does manage to 'install' a font, the window indicating the updating of the font settings never finishes, leaving one wondering if the system fonts are damaged in some way.

I have installed extra fonts over the years, the last time being with 14.04 and it has been fine. I did not try with 15.04 as I had so many problems with it that I went to 15.10 soon after installation. Since many of the problems with Kubuntu seem to have started with 15.04, I assume this one started, then, as well.

A few things I also noted:

* Installing one single font at a time as a system font makes the font settings updating window never disappear and the system can only be rebooted with "sudo reboot" (trying to disconnect, reboot or switch off from the KDE menu buttons does nothing).

* Installing several fonts at a time makes the authorisation request crash window appear, just like poster above. But all fonts except the last selected one actually install.

* Tricking the font installer to make it install a system font that previously failed by selecting another existing one as the last one can make the font installer actually work in some manner.

* Installing fonts as personal fonts works perfectly.

I'm using kernel 4.2.0-30-generic.

Comment

Working...
    X