Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Universal Media Server on Kubuntu 15.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal Media Server on Kubuntu 15.10?

Curious if anyone had luck installing and running UMS on Kubuntu 15.10?

I can't seem to find anyone talking about it on the internet.

you should all ready have and be running minidlnad I think it's default.

Code:
    MINIDLNAD(1)                         General Commands Manual                        MINIDLNAD(1)

NAME
         minidlnad — lightweight DLNA/UPnP-AV server

SYNOPSIS
         minidlnad [-f config_file] [-d] [-v] [-u user] [-i interface] [-p port] [-s serial]
                   [-m model_number] [-t notify_interval] [-P pid_filename] [-w url] [-S] [-L] [-R]

minidlnad [-h | -V]

DESCRIPTION
         The minidlnad daemon is a DLNA/UPnP-AV server sharing media files (video, music and pic‐
         tures) to clients on your network. Clients are typically multimedia players such as vlc,
         totem and xbmc, and devices such as portable media players, smartphones, televisions, video
         game entertainment systems and blu-ray players.

By default, minidlnad listens on all the network interfaces (except loopback) for clients.
         This behavior can be changed on the command-line using the -i option, or in the configura‐
         tion file through the network_interface option (see minidlna.conf(5) for details).
    look to @hear to set it up

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MiniDLNA

to see if it's running on your system
    do a
    Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo netstat -tunap | grep minidlnad
    [sudo] password for vinny: 
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8200            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      946/minidlnad   
    udp        0      0 239.255.255.250:1900    0.0.0.0:*                           946/minidlnad   
    udp        0      0 192.168.2.5:56327       0.0.0.0:*                           946/minidlnad
    yup it's running ,,,,,,,,

type your LAN IP address +port 8200 in your web browsers location bar and hit enter,,,, @hear that would be "192.168.2.5:8200" and you will see it's "status" page.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Oh I did not know that, I'll try it out when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

Comment

Looks like it is not installed by default.

wren@wren76:~$ minidlnad
        The program 'minidlnad' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
        sudo apt-get install minidlna

Comment

I Installed MiniDLNA and seems to work with my LG WebOS Smart Tv so far. I will have to test it further to better understand the limits of it.

Comment

No, because I love Plex too much.
            --
            Intocabile

Comment

Aaaaa I found where it came from ,,,,,,,,,,, I always add the "kipi-plugins" ,,,,and minidlna is a "recommends" of that,,,,,,and apt-get defaults to installing the recommends of a package.

so I wind up seeing it in all my installations and so thought it was a default package ,,,,,OoPsy

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Wow I'm impressed MiniDLNA actually streams mkv's to the LG WebOS tv.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
                  Wow I'm impressed MiniDLNA actually streams mkv's to the LG WebOS tv.
                  Nice,,,,,,glad it's working well for you .

I have never tried it ,,,,,,I have no knead for a streaming server as I just make the TV my monitor , it's close enough to my computers in the living room for one HDMI cable to go to a desktop and one cable to the laptop ,,,,,,,,all my media is accessible.

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Seriously, if you have a smart TV that has a Plex client available for it give Plex a go on the server.

I've used minidlna and Serviio (for years) and whilst both are handy, neither one touches Plex on UI or video playback quality. And it comes with a dlna server in case your TV's client won't handle the direct play of weird mkvs.
                    --
                    Intocabile

Comment

Working...
                    X