This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When, oh When?

When, oh When are we going to get some action on the System Tray Notification of Muon Updater? It's been years now that it has been unrealistically reporting the machine's state! Does it not examine 'sudo apt-get update' before exiting? I've just updated (13 issues, 4 of them security) and it's still showing the red shield and reporting that nothing changed. We're coming up on another LTS - is it going to be 2020? 2024? 2028? ...

Dis-gusted!

Hi
    Thought I'd try what you are posting.
    a) I did the Muon updater and it updated a couple of system things and Firefox.
    b) I then closed and tried it again and got the screen with no updates needed.

c) I then did sudo apt-get update and no updates were required.

Several years ago I just did not use Muon Updater because it didn't work, simple as that.

d) I always use synaptic to install new apps or apt-get install.

e) I nowadays always use the updater, my main complain is......

it is just so laggy between button clicks, however, once it gets it's skirts gathered then it is ok. it does not stop the whirling circle when finished, I have to click the close button and then get the message about whether or not I want to terminate.

My release is 14.04
    Terminal update shows nothing but Trusty libraries.

so all those old libraries may have some small thing to do with it! lol

just some comments.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Nov 05, 2015, 04:30 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks woodsmoke. I get a clean update too. It's the System Tray Widget that's still reporting the red shield of "Updates needed" and click giving the 13/6. System here is hp p6-2175a desktop, ATI Radeon (onboard) graphics.

Comment

No such problems here with 14.04.
        But I have deleted all automatic Muon apps and just installed «muon» with nothing more. And, of course, «synaptic». Updating is regularly all three to four days.
        Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
        I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Thanks woodsmoke. I get a clean update too. It's the System Tray Widget that's still reporting the red shield of "Updates needed" and click giving the 13/6. System here is hp p6-2175a desktop, ATI Radeon (onboard) graphics.

Comment

hi,
            dunno...muon, to me, has always had problems for some and not for others, dunno.
            woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Full install of muon made no difference here. I took to using synaptic some time ago, with muon Discover being such a wimp.

Comment

Fester Bestertester: I took to using synaptic some time ago, with muon Discover being such a wimp.
                People use Muon Package Manager, not usually Muon Discover.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Exactly. That was the reason for the full muon. Discover was the default installed part of muon. Why? Linux users are more intelligent than the 'noddy' level of Discover. Duuuuuh...:|

Comment

I noticed the odd behavior of the Muon updater yesterday too in 15.10. It just sits there demanding attention with its red shield displayed even though updates were completed. It's never done this for me in 14.04 though.

The only gripe I have about the Muon updater in 14.04 (and I think it's the same in 15.10) is that when first clicked on it pops up and flashes (maybe for about a second) the new updates then blanks and seems to go through the process of checking all over again for updates (even if you click on it as soon as it pops up to tell you about the updates). It's quite annoying and very noticeable when you haven't got the fastest internet around.

I agree with you about Muon Discover ... for newbies only. First thing I do on a new install is to install Muon full version.
                    Last edited by Rod J; Nov 06, 2015, 04:43 AM.
                    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Rod J: The only gripe I have about the Muon updater in 14.04 (and I think it's the same in 15.10) is that when first clicked on it pops up and flashes (maybe for about a second) the new updates then blanks and seems to go through the process of checking all over again ...
                      Yep, noticing it here, also, in 14.04. Nice to hear it is not just my installation. NBD, but there is a delay.
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I don't use the updater at all.

Once a day I press Meta+M what been set to bring up Muon and then I click the Check for updates button.

Through the years Muon has had it's problems but I prefer it's interface over Synaptic.

Comment

I'd noticed that too, on my previous ISDN connection (now on Fibre ). You're right, it's doing the 'sudo apt-get update' thing. I hadn't commented because I took it not as an annoyance but an assurance (that the update really *is* ''hot-off-the-press'.

Cheers
                          Dex

Comment

I'm wondering if there's an interaction with System time vs. UTC or publication-time-of-update? I'm in NZ, local time some 12-13hrs ahead of UTC, and this morning's boot-up shows the green-shield 'all good'. Anyone else noticed a 'maturation'?

Comment

A further note to this (Langauge difference?). Besides not acknowledging the update in the System Tray Widget, at the end of the uipdate process, Muon updater presents a "Quit" button.
                              Should this not change to a "Done" button, denoting successful completion?
                              "Quit" at this point implies lack of success, more to be done, but not possible.
                              I've encountered a similar situation with a German co-worker who insisted she "didn't care" if a process I had proposed was implemented. This implied that failure would not affect her operations, and would be my responsibility. After considerable (and a little heated) discussion, it transpired that her intended meaning was that she "didn't mind", and this implied acceptance of my proposed process as valid and even that it might benefit her operations (which was, after all, an intended side-effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X