X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grub issue

Hello folks,

I am using Windows 10 and Kubuntu 15.10 on two separate disk drives and suddenly I am not able to start either of the systems because I am missing a grub.
    After trying to restore, reinstall or install on other partition I am not able to do it.
    Here is what I had received as a info:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/15031978/

Any kind of help would be welcomed becaus now I am writing using live usb and I am not able to use my systems properly.

I'm no expert on boot repair files, but I find it strange that /dev/sda is listed as 20 MiB. Usually SDA is the main hard disk. Could it be that your disk is broken? How do the partitions look in GParted, could you post a screenshot? Also, do you have a Windows 10 recovery disk or USB stick?

Comment

There are ways to repair or in this case reinstall grub, putting these words into a search engine give many hits.
      An easy option is to use the boot-repair utility:

http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair...ubuntu-live-cd

Comment

Originally posted by emmet View Post
        Hello folks,

I am using Windows 10 and Kubuntu 15.10 on two separate disk drives and suddenly I am not able to start either of the systems because I am missing a grub.
        Almost all the info in the boot repair report is about the boot repair system. It only sees one disk drive, and it is corrupt, showing as only 20 MiB and without a valid MBR or partition table. I presume you've used the thread title because the problem presents as the grub rescue prompt but I think it's little to do with grub, but hardware related.

Does the firmware (aka the BIOS, inaccurately for UEFI machines) see both the drives?

The first thing I would do is check the cables to the disk drives (I presume it's a desktop, laptops rarely have two). The next would be to try and put the disks in another running system to see if they can be seen, with their data. If they can, there's something badly wrong with the first computer. If they can't, well, it's unlikely two drives would fail, but I suppose a power supply issue could fry them both...
        [/quote]
        Originally posted by Teunis
        An easy option is to use the boot-repair utility
        emmet used Boot Repair to produce the report in the paste bin...
        Regards, John Little

Comment

John, thanks for doing a better job at reading

Comment

Working...
          X