X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing icons on tray

Hello agian,

I am having weird issue with missing icons on system tray.
    Skype icon is there with mouseover and I can click it and open it but it's not visible.
    Also is missing the "updates" from Status & notification panel.

I tried several options to restore them and return them back with uninstalling the skype OR changing the theme, but unfortunately nothing has changed.

In the picture on the right side you can see that there is an empty space between icons. There is an icon in there but it's not visible.

First diagnostic step would be to change the Desktop Theme and see if the issue persists.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      First diagnostic step would be to change the Desktop Theme and see if the issue persists.
      Yes, I already mention this in the first post that I had changed several desktop themes and nothing happened.

Comment

Doh. Missed that.

There has (always ?) been an issue displaying (some) icons for non-KDE applications.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No... it's okay, thanks for your response.
          I just don't know what to do next.

Comment

I see the same, the Skype, Dropbox and HP icons are not even transparent, they are invisible.

Changing themes for desktop and icons has no effect.

Another icon observation, opening Dolphin as root shows hardly any icons and those that do show are from the Breeze theme, not Oxygen what is my standard.
            Again, changing themes does not show up.

But I did not test a reboot or even logging out.

Comment

I don't undestand should I format and make a clean install or there is another solution?

Comment

I feel it is inherent to this Short Term Support release.
                And I sure hope the Plasma5 system gets stable before the coming 16.04 LTS release because right now it's not for all.

So if the invisible icons are really important to you you could install 14.04.3.
                (Which I use as fall back when 15.10 fails me)

For the same money it might be fixed in tomorrows updates.
                Last edited by Teunis; Jan 25, 2016, 04:59 PM. Reason: Argg, Javascript and formatting

Comment

I believe that for everybody it is important to be able to have a good look when some messages are missed from skype. It is annoyed for some reason but maybe others don't share my opinion.
                  I don't know when is the new release and maybe it is better to wait rather to downgrade?

Comment

Providing you have ~30GB of space on your HD you can install both.

Comment

I am already using dualboot system with Windows 10 so i prefer to have only one Linux distribution.

Comment

Do you have libappindicator3 installed?
                        Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Originally posted by schnelle View Post
                          Do you have libappindicator3 installed?
                          Yes

Comment

Since the beginning I have significant problems with 15.10 and the invisible icons are for me a minor detail.

Yesterday it got so bad I wanted to wipe it and try 16.04.
                            Regretfully the three dailies available all have a critical bug in their installer so I decided to reinstall 15.10.

The result is a prettier but still not very stable system, at least the icons are again visible!

So yes, try a reinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                              Since the beginning I have significant problems with 15.10 and the invisible icons are for me a minor detail.

Yesterday it got so bad I wanted to wipe it and try 16.04.
                              Regretfully the three dailies available all have a critical bug in their installer so I decided to reinstall 15.10.

The result is a prettier but still not very stable system, at least the icons are again visible!

So yes, try a reinstall.
                              Thanks for your advice, i will make a format and clean install as soon as i am able to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X