X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen after logout

Don't get a chance to log in again after logout. Please advise

You mean to say that after switching on the power you see nothing?

Like no (BIOS-UEFI) boot loader, no grub start page?

Is this a dual boot computer or does it just have Kubuntu?

Comment

It is a multiboot PC, but this is not at boot time, it is when I log out from KDE session. Don't get the login screen.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Comment

We don't have a crystal ball so you have to give some information!
        So what do you get after log out?
        Do you have to use other means like the Magic Keys or maybe press the power button?
        You are able to log in again after you have completed a shutdown, restart and reboot?
        Last edited by Teunis; Jan 22, 2016, 05:23 AM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

I have set it to autologin, and this functions well if I reboot. It is when I log out from the session, that I get a black screen, and it stays black forever. What I do is tap Ctrl-Alt-F2, log in to the console, and tap "sudo init 6" to reboot. Or I could press the power button for about 6 seconds to force the PC to switch off. Is there a keyboard command that could force the KDE login screen to appear? Or could I change to another login manager (while still logging in to KDE)?

Comment

OK, that's a lot clearer, thanks.

Btw, now Kubuntu is running systemd the concept of runlevels has been depreciated, this site gives some interesting commands to replace the old sysvintit:
            http://www.dynacont.net/documentatio...temD_commands/

Now you need to figure out at what step of the logout it hangs, but I'm not sure where to look first.

Another question, you talk about logging out, what happens when you shut down?

Have you tried to shut down from the Konsole or virtual terminal?

Like press Ctrl+Alt+F4, log in and then:
            Code:
            sudo shutdown -h now
            The same can be achieved by:
            Code:
            poweroff
            The advantage of such a shutdown is that you see messages.

Before getting too deep into this stuff, are your updates current?
            Last edited by Teunis; Jan 22, 2016, 06:19 AM. Reason: Terminology

Comment

Thanks Teunis for baring with me. When I shut down it performs perfectly normal, there is some text on the screen, but not error messages.

Applied the two commands in a terminal and in a (Ctrl-Alt-F4) konsole with the same result: Black screen for a moment, Kubuntu logo for a couple of seconds and PC switched off. No messages.

This might be connect: After screen lock (Ctrl-Alt-F4) I enter the password on the unlock screen and get the error message that "unlocking failed". For this reason I have disabled everything in Energy Savings exept Button events handling: "Prompt log out dialogue", and in Desktop Behavior / Screen Locking I have disabled Lock screen automatically.

Before you ask, yes I made a fresh install of 15.10 and did not have this particular problem initially, Instead I had the Plasma 5 problem of not being able to unify my two displays, see https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=126539 both in 15.04 and 15.10. After about a month with 15.10 I gave up on the second monitor (TV). About the same time this problem started, but I am not implying any connection between the two problems. Actually I tried deleted ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc but the present problem was still there.

Comment

Correction: When I shut down it performs perfectly normal, there is no text or error message on the screen. Black for a while then the Kubuntu logo and then the PC switches off (I mixed up with the shut down of my Suse partition)

Comment

Good so far, sorry I'm out of ideas for the logout failure, let's hope some guru surfs by...

Comment

I am leaning towards password or rather polkit problem. For instance cannot save changes to LoginScreen (SDDM) / Advanced - or to Manage User Accounts. Guess I will make do with openSUSE for another three months and then give K16.04 a try. Thanks

BTW re crystal balls etc: I do think that my initial description of my problem was crystal clear!

Comment

Working...
                    X