X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Issue After Extending Partition

Hi,

Just to provide some background, I had an external drive I was using to backup my new installation of 15.10. My external drive is slightly smaller than my 1TB SSD. I tried to format the SSD to match the external drive but failed to correctly convert MiB to GB. My SSD is still to big and I'm getting a 1.5 TB external drive since I had to resize the partition anyway.

The process I used was as follows:

1. I disabled the swap partition in the command line and then used the command line to delete the swap partition.

2. I used the live CD to boot into Kubuntu and then used KDE Partition to extend the Ext4 partition and recreated the swap partition at the end of the drive.

Following this procedure it took 30 seconds to boot to the gui, i.e. the screen had the text "Kubuntu 15.10" with four little loading buttons beneath the text. I expected this the first time since the partitions changed but this now continues each time I log into Kubuntu.

Is there a way I can correct this?

Thanks,
    Joe

Please tell us how you configured your drive, did you have a separate / and /home?

If so, these partitions are normally listed in /etc/fstab with a UUID code, like this is mine:
    # /home was on /dev/sda9 during installation
    UUID=511218a5-2bd6-4db4-89ab-f935590c1e3d /home ext4
    Be aware yours will be different.

There's a chance this UUID changed during your exercise disabling swap and resizing the ext4 partition.

Just replace the UUID with the /dev/sdax address and it might boot.

Another possibility is corruption of the ext4 partition, from the Live CD you can check and possibly repair such.

This page explains options to check and repair the relevant partition.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/.../e2fsck.8.html

Comment

Hi Teunis,

Thank you for your reply!

Just to be clear, my system still boots; it's just taking longer than I would like. Prior to the partition changes the "Kubuntu 15.10" screen would last about 10 seconds and is now lasting about 30 seconds.

In regards to my drive configuration I used the default configuration from the live CD. I have a root partition (/) and my personal files in the usr directory (/usr/joe).

Does the UUID contain notations for the start and end positions of the partition? If so this would have changed following my re-partition, it does seem that the system may have to correct this with each boot. How do I obtain the start and end position for the UUID? Additionally, my drive is an SSD so I'm not sure if that would change the chs calculations.

Thanks for your help!
      Joe

P.S.: Cool Avatar!

Comment

The UUID is just a code, it is claimed it's a unique code but I can attest it will be the same when using a similar disk in the original hardware...
        It does not include info about the size or position of the partition.

Doing a file system check is probably the best you can do, it is even possible after a reboot:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/14740...eally-forceful

Btw, I've never used the default partitioning but find it strange that /usr/joe was made as part of the standard install.
        Last edited by Teunis; Jan 18, 2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks Teunis,

I will try this later tonight. Thank you for your help!

Joe

Comment

IF you didn't update your /etc/fstab file, then the entry for swap will still reflect the 'previous swap UUID', and the delay you describe could/might/would be expected. You'll want to change the UUID to reflect what it is now. After you have booted and are in your desktop, just open a console and type sudo blkid and look for the line for swap.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog!

Much like the minion I will make a note and implement this as well.

Thanks!
              Joe

Comment

Hi Teunis and Snowhog!

It turns out it was a UUID issue. I used blkid to obtain the UUID for the swap partition and Kubuntu is back to it's rocket fast speeds! Thanks a lot, I have a duel boot system and hated Kubuntu being outdone by Windows.

Thanks again!
                Joe

Comment

Kubuntu outdone by Windows, impossible

The past weekend I 'upgraded' two Windows computers of friends to Win10 and noticed how dog-slow they were.

Speedtest.net might not be perfect but it does enable a comparison, on Windows they ran ~14Mb down / 6-8Mb up.
                  Booting them with my USB3 SSD with Kubuntu14.04 gave 34Mb down / 18 Mb up. Yeah!!!

That's via WIFI on a 120Mb/20Mb connection!
                  Wired Kubuntu saturated the account.

Next time I'll do a fresh install of Windows but I am not so sure it'll fix this.

Comment

I'm loving my Kubuntu distribution! My favorite thing about Kubuntu is the customization options. I wasn't really happy with the GUI layout in Ubuntu but I do like their repositories and package management system, and open source software in general. I feel I have the best of all three big systems in my set up along with the Kubuntu community for support.

Thanks again for your help!

Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X