This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking disabled

All has been fine so far with my new installation (dual boot with Windows 10) on a new HP Pavilion latop intel i5.

I turned to this distro having been unable to install Peppermint 6 due to it not being compatible with my intel 3165 wireless adapter. I was delighted to find that my card was supported in Kubuntu 15.10

And now, a few days later, the wifi notification on the panel is now red and the option to connect to the known wifi address is dark - there is no connect option. I at a loss to understand how or why this has happened. When I have used linux previously, I have either got wifi to work...or not! I've never had it disappear before! It's still working on W10

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Make sure, while in Windows, that network settings there arent set to turn off/disable when exiting Windows.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

(If the above isn't the cause) I don't use wireless (for my Desktop Linux PC), and have no idea if any of this could be at all helpful:

Trouble-shooting guide
      https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubunt...eshooting.html

A common solution one sees posted around:
      http://askubuntu.com/questions/61445...-kubuntu-15-04
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Many thanks for the help

Unfortunately these don't work for me.

I have tried a live USB of Ubuntu mate and Kubuntu 15.10 (15.04 doesn't support this wireless card) and they work. Having googled this, there seems to be a firmwire issue with this card of it dropping off after some time. There is a fix but I can't find it!

I'm tempted to reinstall but concerned I'll simply end up at square one again.

Wish I hadn't bought a laptop with new hardware (hadn't realised)!

Comment

36 hours later.....just decided to take one last look at my installation before deleting it....and guess what? WIFI is back! I've not done anything

I can't think of anything more technical than the "switch it off and then on again" thing!

I'm scratching my head, but pleased it's back!

Comment

Working...
          X