This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retrieving documents on the Windows [8.1] partition

I have a Medion Akoya Ultra Book S4216 (MD98487). The Windows 8.1 OS is on SSD (32 GB). All the documents are stored on a separate internal HDD (C). I recently placed an extra SSD via a caddy in the former CD/DVD bay. On the extra SSD (120 GB) I have installed Kubuntu 15.10 i.e. no manual partition for the Home folder on the HDD.

I have been told that it is possible to retrieve documents from the Wiindows files on the HDD. I've tried to find the HDD via Dolphin but to no avail.

Can someone please explain how I can access the documents folder on the HDD?

Try this
    Code:
    open terminal
    mkdir windows (or whatever you want to call the folder)
    type sudo blkid - look here to make sure your drive is seen.  will most likely be /dev/sda1

This is my windows partition
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="windows" UUID="1D939ABA654D9216" TYPE="ntfs" 
    then type 
    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/windows
    you should then be able to browse to /home/(your user)/windows and copy/move any files you need

I have 2 partitions mounted NTFS, one for windows (share my thudnerbird info between OS's) and one where I share other data between the two
    portion of my fstab
    Code:
    # /data /dev/sdc1
    UUID=761DC4787998C89F                 /data           ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       0
    # /windows /dev/sda1
    UUID=1D939ABA654D9216                /windows        ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       0
    if you want this drive available at all times, follow https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...dowsPartitions

Comment

Thanks a lot. I'm going to try it out.

Comment

Working...
      X