X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting ISOs in Dolphin: The nerfed context menu

Hey,
    I am on a very fresh install of Kubuntu 15.10. I wanted to install Matlab, which involves downloading an ISO. I am used to simply right clicking the ISO and then clicking "Mount.." or something like that.

Dolphin does not seem to have this feature. Googling led me to installing the service "Simple mount iso service menu" through the "configure dolphin" button, however, it did not appear in my right click menu.

And since I looked at the right click menu so intensely, I noticed other missing common features such as "compress..." or "extract" for archives. You can see a screenshot here.

If this is an error with Dolphin, is there a way of fixing it? If it is not, perhaps you could tell me how to mount the ISO with other tools.

EDIT: Below I write how I managed to mount the iso with CLI - so my problem for now is the fact that I am apparently unable to use common commands like "Extract" and "compress", which Dolphin advertises as simple right-click commands. Likewise, installing services through "Configure Dolphin -> Services" does not work.

Edit for the second problem: Fixed it by doing as mentioned in this thread. I think this is a problem with Kubuntu - it's fixed for me for now, but I shouldn't really have to manually create symlinks on a 100 % fresh install just to get basic functionality in Dolphin.
    Last edited by jonaslb; Dec 11, 2015, 10:54 AM. Reason: Solved

I did this with mount -o loop file mountpoint, which worked somewhat fine (3 entries for it Dolphin, but that's really minor). I am still interested in finding out whether or not my right click menu in Dolphin is defunct or if it's like that by intention.

Comment

A thought:

Open Dolphin.
      Settings.
      Configure Dolphin
      Services (on the left side bar).
      Examine and check.

Is that it?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

A mount command I had filed away, mounting the iso on /media/test:

Code:
        sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop /home/example.iso /media/test
        Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 11, 2015, 09:44 AM.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

i use a similar command to mount however i don't use the -t switch as some isos can be UDF and not iso9660. If the mounted device is using a filesystem your computer understands alot of the time you can just leave the -t switch off.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Good point, sithlord48, thanks. I had actually used that on a kubuntu-desktop iso, thus the iso9660; but hadn't really given this much thought in the general case.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. As I wrote in my second post, I managed to mount the iso using CLI, so that part of the problem has been solved.

I can now see that I was a bit unclear in my initial post - I have already attempted using the "Configure Dolphin -> Services", but installing a new service module (such as "Simple mount iso service menu") does not actually result in anything being added anywhere that I can see. Others such as "Extract here and compress - File - roller" simply gives errors. It could be that they are not meant for plasma5, in which case I am left to wonder why they are even listed.

Comment

i don't think that all the old dolphin services are currently working with the KF5 version of dolphin. the old ones could be simply installing to the wrong place.

also do note dolphin just moved to KF5 so it could just be something they have not finished support for too.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I tried the same trick that is successful for the root services but it doesn't work for this one.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post382439

Comment

Working...
                  X