X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using MobaTerm on windows to get remote KDE desktop

All,

In my office I have two computers, my Kubuntu server and my windows laptop. I mainly use my windows laptop for work but occasionally I need to get into my Kubuntu server, and sometimes I need the KDE GUI.
    As it currently stands I have to manually (I don't have any kind of switching device) move my mouse and keyboard over and change the input channel on my monitor. My laptop uses displayport and my Kubuntu server HDMI. It's a minor annoyance and since but these machines are connected to the same router I figured setting up MobaXterm to access KDE remotely would be a good option.

I use Putty on my windows laptop to connect to my Kubuntu server for command line stuff and I can just as easily use the same putty profile via MobaXterm, which I now prefer since MobaXterm has the graphical file browser on the left hand side.
    However, apart from getting something simple like xclock to pop open in it's own window I am struggling to work out how to get a full KDE session. In fact, perhaps there is a lighter GUI that I can install on my Kubuntu server and just use that it that helps with bandwidth.

So, what command do I need to enter to get a KDE window open up under MobaXterm?
    I have tried the following commands but none of them work!

startkde (gives lots and lots of output in the terminal window and it seemed like it was going to work but in the end..nothing)
    Xsession
    startx

I am obviously missing something obvious. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by DaveInFL; Dec 07, 2015, 12:54 PM.

Is XCMDP an option? If so how would one go about configuring that to work with MobaXterm?

Comment

I don't know much about xcmdp, but that or VNC should work-- once you have gone through the trouble of installing, configuring and testing and debugging them; however with your terminal, you should be able to run individual applications using your remote x session. This would be much less resource-intensive than running an entire desktop just for a few tasks, as an option.

Comment

Thanks. I know I can run the individual programs and sometimes that works fine for what I need Other times I'd like to just have the convenience of having the full KDE desktop. Again, perhaps there is another, lighter alternative to KDE that might work better.
        At this point, although I can run individual programs I have yet to work out how to get KDE up and running

Comment

Actually, I don't think sddm supports xdcmp, so you might have to try lightdm or kdm for your login manager, which after editing a config file, should make it pretty easy. Theoretically, at least

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Comment

You could install Teamviewer on both the server and laptop. That would give you the full KDE desktop on your laptop. It works well over a local network once configured to do so: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/4...twork-LAN-only
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Is that like VNC though whereby you connect to the existing session? It's not clear on the webpage but I suspect that's what it does. Might be an option but was more looking to start a new session. MobaXterm should be able to do this.
              Originally posted by Rod J View Post
              You could install Teamviewer on both the server and laptop. That would give you the full KDE desktop on your laptop. It works well over a local network once configured to do so: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/4...twork-LAN-only

Comment

As of right now I am still trying to get X11 forwarding and tunneling to work. As I mentioned, I can get single apps to open up so I would assume that means I have MobaXterm configured correctly. I just can't for the life of me get a new KDE session started.
                I did install lightdm but when I set that as my default DM and reboot the computer all I get is a black screen so not sure what is going on there.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                Actually, I don't think sddm supports xdcmp, so you might have to try lightdm or kdm for your login manager, which after editing a config file, should make it pretty easy. Theoretically, at least

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably lightdm and plasma 5 don't get along anymore ;( Does KDM support plasma 5? I don't know.
                  You will need a login manager that supports xdcmp, no matter what, as far as I can tell.

Comment

It's not the same but I can also recommend Teamviewer, I use it quite a lot for remote assistance.

Comment

Working...
                    X