This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba Issues

Just installed 15.10 64 bit and am seeing a few issues with Samba. Wanted to see if anyone else is having similar issues or not.

First issue is that I have setup about 5 Samba shares on my Kubuntu server for easy access from my Windows 10 laptop. However, for some reason these Samba shares (not even my Kubuntu server) are not showing up under the windows explorer. I have rebooted my Kubuntu machine and my Win 10 laptop all to no avail. I can see two other computers (both Windows) under Network but not my Kubuntu server. Any ideas on what I can try? When I do a smbtree command on the Kubuntu server it is showing all my computers on the network, so it seems fine from that side! Guess it could be a windows 10 issue, not sure.

Second issue, when I try and do a smbclient command from the Kubuntu server to my Win 10 laptop I can log in fine, but doing a dir or ls command results in the following: cli_list: Error: unable to parse name from info level 260. This error is stopping Backuppc from accessing my laptop and performing a backup. It's obviously a Samba issue and not a backuppc issue as backuppc is backing up my Kubuntu server just fine.

Any help/insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Maybe this will help with your second issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2281266
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I believe there are issues. I have to always go to Konsole and run the below. Once that is done it shows up. For some reason, though it reports it is running, you have to restart it.

Code:
      /etc/init.d/samba restart

Where I posted:
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...314#post381314

Comment

I have tried that on numerous occasions and I still cannot get my Kubuntu server to show up under windows explorer / Network!

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        Yes, I believe there are issues. I have to always go to Konsole and run the below. Once that is done it shows up. For some reason, though it reports it is running, you have to restart it.

Code:
        /etc/init.d/samba restart

Where I posted:
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...314#post381314

Comment

Just did an update here which included SAMBA. So far on first reboot this system reports to the others as it should. Hope that sticks!

Comment

@MoonRise, that's great The Samba shares are showing on my Windows 8.1 machine, just not on my windows 10 machine. Could be an issue with windows 10.

Comment

Thanks for that link. However, I don't believe that is related to my issue. When I had Kubuntu 14.04 installed (not sure what version of samba that would have been) everything was working just fine. Nothing has changed on my laptop so at least to me it appears that it is a samba issue on Kubuntu. In fact when I first do a smbclient command to c:\users there are only about 4-5 directories and none of them have any kind of funky characters in them!

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Maybe this will help with your second issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2281266

Comment

Well it is improved but not what I would expect. After a few minutes it disappears from the Network. Although it reports still running I have to restart SAMBA and all seems OK and sticks. Really weird and annoying. Annoying mainly only because I know it isn't right.

Comment

I believe I have found a fix for the first issue..second issue remains though.

It seems that Windows 10 is using Samba version 2 or 3 and there is obviously some bugs going on.
                  I added the following to the regedit file to force Samba version 1 and now my Kubuntu server is showing up all the time

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters
                  SMB1 = 1
                  SMB2 = 0
                  SMB3 = 0

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X