X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual fsck

Hello,
    I replaced the stable running Kubuntu 14.04.3 LTS (but without working Sane; see Kubuntu 14.04 hardware support) with the hopefully longlasting Kubuntu 15.10 (but with working Sane). The problem of Scanning is solved. But the last time I had Kubuntu 15.10 installed it worked for 6 days. I got the information of an "unexpected inconsistency". And I was asked to do a manual fsck. How can I do such a manual fsck with a not fully booted OS?
    Kind regards,
    Sigurd

the easiest way is to boot to recovery mode from the Grub menu, where there will be an option to run fsck.

Comment

Hello claydoh,
      I don't know how I can manually boot to grub? When there is a problem grub will start and I can go for the recovery mode. What I did. And of course after this in the menu I have chosen to run fsck. It interrupts with an error and the text "unexpected inconsistency" and " run manually fsck". At this point how can I run fsck manually (as recommended)? And when I rebooted I always got to this point. And of course I don't know if running fsck manually will fix the problem at all.
      Kind regards,
      Sigurd

Comment

to do it manually

do you still have your install media ?

if so fire it up and
        Code:
        sudo e2fsck -p /dev/sda3
        this assumes you have a "ext2-3or4" filesystem and the partition you wanted to check was /dev/sda3

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

do you still have your install media ?
          That reminds me, I think GParted live CD/USB will check partition-file systems, too.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Solved

Hello,
            thank you very much vinnywright and Qqmike. I hope Kubuntu 15.10 will last a long time and not fail. But in case I now know what I have to do.
            Kind regards,
            Sigurd

Comment

Hello,
              Thank you very much vinnywright!
              As usual I started my computer this morning. I did not start Kubuntu 15.10 completely. I ended up with a small piece of the background picture at the left upper corner. Only with a "hard" turn off I could restart the computer. Now I got the following information: BusyBox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash). Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands. (initramfs) and a flashing cursor. As you recommended I typed "e2fsck -p /dev/sdb1". And I got the Information: /dev/sdb1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e., without -a or -p options). So I typed: "e2fsck /dev/sdb1". Now I followed the instructions because it looked like that every single mistake was fixed now. After all I rebooted. Now I got into the Grub and into the recovery mode. And from here I finally could run "clean". It cleaned several files including the oldest Linux kernel. With dpkg was the file "about-distro kubuntu-desktop" installed. I continued with booting. But the end was that small background picture again. So I went through the entire process again. "clean" removed the now latest Linux kernel. Only the recent Linux kernel remained. The result of all this you can see: Kubuntu 15.10 is running again.
              Thnak you,
              Sigurd
              Last edited by Sigurd; Nov 12, 2015, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Hello,
                today Kubuntu 15.10 failed to start again. And again I had to run the above mentioned procedure twice to get it back running. Conclusion: Kubuntu 15.10 really is NOT a stable running system.
                Kind regards,
                Sigurd

Comment

Hello,
                  thank you very much for all the help I found here in this forum.
                  After all Kubuntu 15.10 failed to start with Plasma5 crashed. A new installation did not change anything. Now I am running Netrunner.
                  Kind regards,
                  Sigurd

Comment

Your problem sounds like a hardware issue with the hard disk.

A VERY easy way to run the file system check is to boot with the installation media, CD or USB, and run the partition manager.
                    In the partition manager (almost the same thing as Gparted) you can by right-clicking select the partitions you want to check and then run the check.

Comment

i tried all the above. sudo isn't even recognized and almost all the commands won't let me into anything at all i get a permission denied or doesn't exist message.

Comment

Is that from the live disk/USB you can't run the checker?

Comment

With some browsing around the forums I tried a simple

fsck /dev/sda2

Responded yes to everything and it's back to normal.

I was attempting from USB at the time of the issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X