This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux 4.2 Kernel and AMD graohics.

Upgraded my desktop ( Acer Quad-core AMD E1) to Wily Yesterday.
    First off, the Bug with Muon updater freezing at 75%. Remedied that and finished the install.
    On bootup, there was no "Kubuntu" logo. Nothing. Boot stalled.

Rebooted into GRUB and selected the next lower Kernel, 3xx and got the machine to Boot.
    Other than a few little quirks, Desktop is working well.

I read a few days ago that the 4.2 Kernel and AMD graphics are not playing nice.
    With the install, the article is correct.

fglrx is the culprit, and a lesser degree, the opensource wrapper.

What I'm looking for, is an easy way to change the GRUB to boot into the 3xx kernel without uninstalling the 4.2.
    I suppose the graphics will be remedied soon to use the newer kernel.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by grncamaro69; Oct 23, 2015, 11:03 PM. Reason: Mispelled Graphics in Title

Muon updater freezes because apt-get asks a question in the console and waits for a response. Probably opening a terminal before Muon freezes would bypass the problem.

As to changing the default option in grub, I recommend using grub-customizer. In a second tab you can choose which kernel gets booted.

Installation instructions are here:
    http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...r-ubuntu-1404/

Comment

Originally posted by grzebo View Post
      Muon updater freezes because apt-get asks a question in the console and waits for a response. Probably opening a terminal before Muon freezes would bypass the problem.

As to changing the default option in grub, I recommend using grub-customizer. In a second tab you can choose which kernel gets booted.

Installation instructions are here:
      http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...r-ubuntu-1404/

Thanks! I found the PPA instructions and installed it. Boots right up.

Comment

Working...
      X