X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power management and laptop lid

Dear all,

I have configured power management to do nothing when the laptop lid is closed.
    This works smoothly, as long as I don't connect an external monitor. I chose the option to do nothing even when an external monitor is connected. However, when closing the lid while the second monitor is connected, the system goes in a weird state. Il looks like sleep, but when the lid is reopened the kde session is not resumed. Still, it is not a full reboot, since I am not presented the grub screen. My guess is that there is an attempt to sleep (which in any care should not happen according to my settings), followed by some catastrophic crash that forces kde to start from scratch.

Not that this only happens with an external monitor. Without external monitor the system stays on as expected.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Andrea.

I don't have a solution but it is important to know what hardware you have and which driver you use.
    Intel, nVidia or AMD.

Comment

Good point, sorry for not mentioning it before. It's a Lenovo ThinkPad x1 carbon. The system is using the Intel driver. Assuming a crash is happening, I'd be glad to collect any log information, if any of you can suggest me where to find it.

Comment

Hi all,

just for the record, I found a viable workaround, which disables the laptop lid altogether: I modified

sudo pico /etc/UPower/UPower.conf (set IgnoreLid=true)
        sudo pico /etc/systemd/logind.conf (set HandleLidSwitch=ignore)

After a reboot, I can now close the lid without crashes.
        Of course, nothing happens at all, not even suspend, should I choose to activate it in power management.
        However, I thought other users may find this useful.

Cheers,

Andrea.

Comment

I have a similar problem when booting with closed lid while connected to a docking station.
          It runs direct into powersave mode and after waking up, all screens are black.
          I have a Dell Latitude E530 with NVidia Chipset using the NVidia driver.

Comment

Working...
          X