X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop heating

Hello folks,

After using Kubuntu15.10 for a several months without having some issues, suddenly after my laptops starts (about ~30min) every time i hear the cooler working on high rpm and also the temperature is higher which is obvious. I am wondering is there any solution for this kind of issue because so far I didn't experienced these kind of situations?

My configuration:
    cpu: i5-3337U
    gpu: amd radeon 7600M

Thanks.

Have you blown out you CPU fan with a can of of air? Dust plugging the cooling fans is the #1 cause of heating.
    Other issues include the fan not spinning as fast as it used to (bearing friction), and the thermal paste drying out. Replacement solves those issues.

There is also a chance that an update didn't play well with the temperature sensors, lm-sensors. Other packages are available: thermd, psensor for KDE, and others
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeek thanks for your response.

My laptop was on a regular cleaning/maintenance in the Dell service in September 2015 when they also changed the thermal paste, so i believe that i don't have issue with that.
      I am using my laptop as a dualboot with Windows 10 so I don't have these experience with Windows, only when I'm running Kubuntu.
      I dont know is there any update which can make these issues?

Comment

I would run powertop and the System Monitor to see what makes it run hot.

Like I have a recurring problem with an orphaned version of Konsole eating 100% of one core after I closed it.
        Shutting it down by typing exit does work.

Or powertop reports the Bluetooth device consuming most, right clicking the icon and selecting it to switch off fixes it.

Comment

Here is info graph of System Monitor while cooler is running on high rpm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot20.png
Views:	1
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	643113

Comment

That's a bit high for idle, which processes cause this activity? (Select CPU when in Process Table)

Comment

This is by cpu:

And this is by ram:

Comment

I don't see a link between the fairly high (20-25%) CPU graph in your earlier post and these applications.

Maybe it's the video card that runs hot.

Try reading the various temperature sensors in your computer.

A good starting point is this site:
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SensorInstallHowto

Comment

Is this okay?

Code:
                  [FONT=monospace]radeon-pci-0100
                  Adapter: PCI adapter
                  temp1:            N/A  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
                  Adapter: ISA adapter
                  Physical id 0:  +49.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                  Core 0:         +49.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                  Core 1:         +48.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

[/FONT]

Comment

That machine's CPU is cool!
                    Which still leaves the possibility of a hot video card that doesn't show up in this list.

But there might be a problem with the way the fan is run.
                    On many computers the fan is regulated from the BIOS but there are applications that can help fancontrol comes to mind.

But I've never used it so you'll have to Google a bit to find out how it's set up and used.
                    A simple search for
                    Kubuntu fancontrol
                    offers quit a few sites.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the temperature under the touchpad is slightly higher than usual when I am using Windows 10.
                      Sorry not to mention this...

I will see Kubuntu fancontrol too.
                      Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                      X