This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memory for HP Pavilion a6238x

I have an HP Pavilion a6238x with 2 GB of RAM and am looking to max it out at 4. I've found the Crucial.com specs page for my PC here:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compat...avilion-a6238x

It says that the PC can take either PC2-6400 or PC2-5300 memory and that there are 4 slots with a maximum of 4 GBs of total memory. Okay, so one GB per slot. My OS reports that I have 2 GBs now. I opened up the PC to see that two slots are occupied with PC2-5300 memory, one GB per slot, and that the brand name is Hynix Korea. Here are my questions:

1. Will it matter if I buy memory that is not the same brand as that which is already in the PC? If I buy 2x1GB memory from Crucial, I'll have two GB in the Crucial brand and two in the Hynix Korea brand that came with the PC.
    2. I couldn't help but notice that two of the memory slots are blue and the other two are black. The current memory is plugged into the two blue slots. Is there any significance to the color of the memory slot and anything I should be aware of before installing?
    3. I notice also that the PC can take PC2-6400 memory, which is not installed now. Would there be any advantage to buy 4 PC2-6400 pieces of memory, removing the memory I already have, and installing all those 4? Is PC2-6400 faster? Would I notice? All the memory would be the same brand -- is that better?

Here are some cell phone shots of inside the computer so that you can see for yourself. I apologize for the poor photography.

photo uploading

image post
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

The brand doesn't matter but some motherboards have trouble mixing different sticks like wanting two adjacent sticks to be of the same sort and that's why the slots are colour coded, to prevent such issues you're best off getting PC2-5300.
    If money is no issue you could get 4 equal PC2-6200 but I don't think you would notice much of a speed improvement.

Comment

Working...
    X