This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AkonadiTray

OK, had the opportunity to try 15.10 on a very cheap laptop that has WIN8.1 on it. I decided on dual boot leaving the UEFI as is since I've never ventured out on that. So, all loaded OK just two issues that have me disappointed.

First, what happened to AkonadiTray. Originally was in KDEPIM Runtime but not now? How do I turn off Akonadi? It has so many things running that I really don't use and no need for it to be running for me. AkonadiTray was always the quick way for me to turn it off but it seems M.I.A now.

Second, on boot all seems OK up to the GRUB menu. Once it goes into booting 15.10 I never seen the KUBUNTU loading screen and once done I don't see the log-in screen. Knowing how it is set-up I know about when to enter my PW. Once Enter is pressed I then see the log-in screen as it gets ready to show the Splash as it logs me in. So, any one else and how to fix?

Otherwise, all seems very nice and no issues out of UEFI as is.

SystemSpecs: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X551MA/specifications/

Can I guess you have a dual gpu optimus (intel and nvidia) system?

If so, there is a bug that causes this when using the proprietary drivers in 15.10, and is not specific to Kubuntu and sddm.

Some have had to as a a script to blank and unblank the screen to get around this, plus using autologin. For me, just enabling autologin works. Else revert back to using nouveau for the nvidia driver

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

Hmm can't find the specific bug and ubuntuforums post this browsing my history

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

Akonaditray would need to be ported to plasma 5, it seems.

I haven't tried, but akonadi is not tied in to kde so much that you may be able to uninstall all the akonadi and kdepim things without wrecking your desktop.

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

I'll set what it says if I tried to un-install Akonadi.

As far as the display issue it's just with the laptop's built in display and all it has is an Intel built-in GPU. If I put an HDMI monitor to it and disable the laptop's monitor it seems happy that way. Not ideal for a laptop but what I tested to see what is what. No biggie really as I plan on making this a media type laptop with the telly. I think it's suitable for that. It was a referb any way. Motherboard was DOA originally and so who knows how long it'll last.

Thanks!

Comment

I take that back about the HDMI being happy. Does the same thing too. Odd on a few reboots it seemed fine but from a cold boot not.

Comment

OK, uninstall of Akonadi went well and I'm happy it doesn't start. Fixed.

Screen visibilty issue on Boot. Fixed. What I did is installed the KDE Grub2 Systems Setting tool (note, not fully ported to Plasma5 but runs outside of System Settings fine). When run I set my start resolution for GRUB to 1024x768. It was set at a default 800x600.

Comment

Working...
              X