This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Python library [libsmartpen]

I am trying to recognize a (livescribe) smartpen on linux.

A guy developed a library (https://github.com/srwalter/libsmartpen) and a browser (https://github.com/srwalter/smartpen-browser) to access its file. I installed both using his PPA, but when I run the browser, i got the message:

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/smartpen-browser.py", line 4, in
    import pysmartpen
    ImportError: No module named pysmartpen
    He asked my to run the commands dpkg -L libsmartpen and ldd /usr/lib/pyshared/python2.7/pysmartpen.so and got:

Code:
    /.
    /usr
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/python-support
    /usr/share/python-support/libsmartpen.public
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/libsmartpen
    /usr/share/doc/libsmartpen/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/libsmartpen/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/pyshared
    /usr/share/pyshared/pysmartpen-0.0.0.egg-info
    /usr/share/pyshared/parsestf.py
    /usr/lib
    /usr/lib/libsmartpen.so
    /usr/lib/pyshared
    /usr/lib/pyshared/python2.7
    /usr/lib/pyshared/python2.7/pysmartpen.so
    /lib
    /lib/udev
    /lib/udev/rules.d
    /lib/udev/rules.d/75-smartpen.rules
    And:

Code:
        linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fffbfb8a000)                                                                                                                            
        libsmartpen.so => /usr/lib/libsmartpen.so (0x00007f61fa283000)                                                                                                                           
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f61fa065000)                                                                                                                           
        libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f61f9c9b000)                                                                                                                           
        libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f61f998c000)                                                                                                                           
        libopenobex.so.1 => /usr/lib/libopenobex.so.1 (0x00007f61f9782000)                                                                                                                           
        libusb-1.0.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libusb-1.0.so.0 (0x00007f61f956a000)                                                                                                                           
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f61fa68c000)                                                                                                                           
        libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0x00007f61f92fd000)                                                                                                                            
        libusb-0.1.so.4 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libusb-0.1.so.4 (0x00007f61f90f4000)                                                                                                                            
        libudev.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 (0x00007f61f8ee1000)
    The author has no idea of what is happening. But I got the same behaviour in tw different pcs runing kubuntu 15.04.

Any ideas?
    Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

What you you get if you run

Code:
    import sys
    sys.path
    Also from the terminal can you run
    Code:
    locate smartpen.py
    Last edited by elijathegold; Sep 20, 2015, 07:35 AM.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I've just found the guy's ppa and it looks like it only supports up to 14.04 which may be causing the issue, I don't know if files paths or versions have changed from 14.04 to 15.04. Another option may be to un-install from the ppa and grab the zip file from the github page and run
      Code:
      sudo python setup.py
      from within the extracted directory.

*** DO NOT DO THIS. IT GETS COMPLICATED QUICKLY ***
      Last edited by elijathegold; Sep 20, 2015, 09:27 AM.
      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

OK got it working!

This involves editing the file /usr/bin/smartpen-browser.py so you may want to back it up first.

Open a terminal and run the command
        Code:
        sudo nano /usr/bin/smartpen-browser.py
        and give your password when asked.

Edit the first lines of code to add the highlighted lines

Code:
        #!/usr/bin/python

[COLOR=#ff0000]import sys
        sys.path.append("/usr/lib/pyshared/python2.7")
        sys.path.append("/usr/share/pyshared/")[/COLOR]
        import gtk
        import pysmartpen
        Save the file by pressing Ctrl + O and then enter and exit nano using Ctrl + X. It should now run but I don't have a light pen so can't really test things.

[edit]

I wasn't entirely happy with the solution above. Adding the following line to your ~/.bashrc is a far more elegant solution.

Code:
        export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/pyshared//python2.7/:/usr/share/pyshared/:PYTHONPATH
        and then run
        Code:
        source .bashrc
        to reload the file.

[/edit]
        Last edited by elijathegold; Sep 20, 2015, 11:29 AM.
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

It worked for me!
          Thank you, man.
          Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

Comment

Working...
          X