This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got Google Earth working including Panoramio

For years now I've like many others been struggling to get Google Earth working.
    I'm not particularly fond of Mint but it was on their forum I found a relatively easy way to install it.

Contrary to other methods it will also get the Panoramio photo's displayed, something that I as a frequent traveller and less frequent contributor really appreciate.
    The typical problem of the missing ia32-libst library is now overcome by Apt suggesting alternatives, lib32z1 and lib32ncurses5.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1710

Yes it's the 32-bit version of Google but the path to install the 64-bit version SteveRiley showed last year did for me not deliver Panoramio.

The only 'bug' I notice is the opening tips screen shows a 404, page not found.

Are you able to log in to GE? Still waiting for the Linux version of 7.1.5 that adds Oauth 2.0, since they switched to that, latest linux version is still 7.1.4 and Oauth 1.0, so I can't log in.

Comment

I don't know about logging in and never had the inclination to try it as I don't see the point in offering more info to Google.

Comment

I thought one needed to log into share images with panoramio. Where can I find those to try out?

I just installed GE in 15.04, it seems that it maybe a native 64 bit application now, it did not seem to install any 32 but stuff, but I didn't dive in to find out. I didn't have to do any special steps to get it to run, and it's only crashed twice

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

I may be missing the point of wanting to use GE. I had so much trouble with it that I gave up and I have found Google Maps does all that I want. I even get Panorama photo's displayed. An example of the Netherlands is found here and the image is shown below

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goople_Maps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	642996

When you move the cursor over the panorama image, it gives a line to the location of the image. It has many other features that are worth exploring. I have Google Maps as a tab on my Web Browser which makes it readily accessible.

Comment

I haven't bothered with Google Earth for this reason myself

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

Yes I agree the http based version is nice but re. the panoramio photos it's not comparable with the 'real thing'.

Years ago I made an account with the Panoramio website and that's what I use to upload.
              It might be a good year ago Google was trying to suggest you had to have a Google account to continue with Panoramio but they've since dropped that demand.
              Likely they have enough info to do the linking to a person without the account

In that light and for the curious:
              http://www.panoramio.com/user/798752

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                Yes I agree the http based version is nice but re. the panoramio photos it's not comparable with the 'real thing'.
                I always thought the panorama photos were supplied to Google by the "public" who had an interest in photography and took pictures of areas that they visited.

You will always find that there are marked variations in a picture depending on lighting conditions. There are professional landscape photographers who spend days waiting for the ideal conditions to take a picture. These of course look "ideal" and far better than what I see when I visit the site where the picture was taken.

The picture taken overhead by satellites and aircraft are only updated after several years. For example, we removed a tree in our back yard and the overhead image still shows the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post

Years ago I made an account with the Panoramio website and that's what I use to upload.
                  It might be a good year ago Google was trying to suggest you had to have a Google account to continue with Panoramio but they've since dropped that demand.
                  Likely they have enough info to do the linking to a person without the account

In that light and for the curious:
                  http://www.panoramio.com/user/798752
                  really nice picks ,,,,,,,,,,, I ,, a ,,,,borrowed 2 of them for desktop wallpaper candidates ,,,,, if it's ok with you , I will delete them if you say so ,,,,one of a stream with little purple flowers on the left bank ,,,,,and the one of raindrops .

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hey vinny sorry for the late reaction, yes of course you can use these photo's.

If it were for commercial purposes we'd have to write a little disclaimer like when the British Admiralty wanted the use of one to show the entrance to the harbour of Dili, East Timor.

Anyhow, I came back here to read my own ramblings as I had some trouble to get Google Earth installed on 14.04.3

Turned out there were a bunch of missing i386 libraries that needed manual intervention to install.

For someone trying the same, start with the Mint tutorial and then try to start google-earth from the Konsole.
                    It will come up with missing libs, copy the name and paste it in place of the *:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install *:i386
                    This'll have to be repeated several times.
                    Last edited by Teunis; Sep 17, 2015, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X