This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding an icon to the panel

In 14.* and earlier you could right click on an app in the launcher and choose "Add to Panel." That doesn't work in 15.04. So how do I add an app to the panel now?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

drag and drop

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      drag and drop
      I tried that and Plasma crashed.

Comment

Have you upgraded via kubuntu-backports ppa yet? It should fix a number of crashy things.
        I think video drivers might be a culprit for some folks here as well.

As already seen in a post I somehow cannot locate:

Comment

i see two options in my menu when i right click "add to panel " when widgets are unlocked and "add to launcher" reguardless of lock state.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Have you upgraded via kubuntu-backports ppa yet? It should fix a number of crashy things.
            I think video drivers might be a culprit for some folks here as well.

As already seen in a post I somehow cannot locate:
            Gonna give backports PPA a shot. Thanx for the tip. I hope it solves another problem too. I'm KVMing between this Kubuntu desktop and a Windows 7 one. I'm an old-style computer user from the 80s who prefers the Ctrl key to be where it originally was, next to the A key. I've therefore swapped out Ctrl and Caps Lock on both machines. I made the swap in Kubuntu by doing this:
            System Settings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced
            Ctrl key position
            Click "Configure Keyboard Options"
            Expand: Ctrl Key Position
            check: Swap Ctrl and Caps Locks
            In Windows 7 I made the change via an edit to the Windows registry. The change in Kubuntu worked until I switched over to Windows and back. After that, the Ctrl and Caps Lock were behaving like the default setting again. I looked in Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced etc. and it was still set the way I had changed it. I therefore unchecked "Swap Ctrl and Caps Locks" and re-checked it, and it was working fine again. However, all it takes is a KVM into Windows and back to mess it up again. I'll see if the kubuntu-backports ppa fixes this prob. I can see how this bug could slip in under the radar since most people don't KVM.

I'll probably make a separate post in hardware about KVMing. There are a few other issues. I KVMed some years back between Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP. It was a great way to have both OSes at your disposal. Unlike VirtualBoxing, one OS burden the resources of the other (except for Internet bandwidth). I can burn a DVD in one OS and surf the web, write, listen to music, whatever in the other OS without any negative effect.

Comment

Okay, now I want to install the Kubuntu backports and I have a quick question. I found this page about it:

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/kubuntu-ppa_backports

It says to do this:

Code:
              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports 
              sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get install <package name>
              And then it lists these packages:
              Code:
              2015-05-30 15:09:49 UTC 	telepathy-logger-qt 	15.04.0-0ubuntu2~ubuntu15.04~ppa1
              2015-05-30 15:09:49 UTC 	libkmahjongg 	4:15.04.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu15.04~ppa1
              2015-05-30 15:09:49 UTC 	libkdegames 	4:15.04.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu15.04~ppa1
              2015-05-30 15:09:49 UTC 	libkeduvocdocument 	4:15.04.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu15.04~ppa1
              2015-05-30 15:09:49 UTC 	kqtquickcharts 	4:15.04.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu15.04~ppa1
              Does that mean I simply do this:
              Code:
              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports 
              sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get install  telepathy-logger-qt
              I don't need those other packages listed, right?

Comment

just add the ppa and update as they say, then dist-upgrade, there is nothing you need to install

Comment

Working...
                X