This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe Flash Alternative

This is really a Kubuntu 14.04 / 15.04 question since I have the former on my laptop now (and might upgrade) and the latter is going on a desktop I just picked up. On any web page that has an Adobe Flash video, I get the message that my Flash is out of date and needs to be updated. Then, of course, the update doesn't work. On a previous Kubuntu install, I thought I had completely removed Adobe Flash and replaced it with an alternative, but it still kept pestering me to update Adobe Flash. In this fresh Kubuntu install (14.04 LTS), I just let it be, hoping maybe that the update process had moved on to the Flash alternative, since development for Adobe Flash (boo, hiss) has ceased for Linux. Obviously, no such luck.

Today I'm prepping to install Kubuntu 15.04 onto my desktop I just got. I guess I need to be prepared to remove the outdated Adobe crap and go with the alternative. I googled it and found this link:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/62216...-not-a-cpu-hog

It's saying to use the two alternatives, Gnash and Lightspark rather than Pepper (which I think is the one I used before). Oh, brother. Two of them? Seriously? Isn't there one Flash alternative that's worked its way to the standard Linux Flash substitute that is highly reliable and secure?

I also want to make sure that I actually get Adobe's Flash off my system (14.04 and 15.04) so that it's hot hanging around pestering to update.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
    Isn't there one Flash alternative that's worked its way to the standard Linux Flash substitute that is highly reliable and secure?
    Ha! You're asking a lot there, there isn't even a version of Flash for Windows that is secure.

Unless the website is one you need for work, the best long-term solution is probably to bitch and moan at the site owner until they implement HTML5 alternatives to Flash. Most of the video streaming sites have replaced their Flash players with HTML5 alternatives already, since flash isn't at all mobile friendly. Since there's significant market pressure already for site owners to migrate, so the problem should go away reasonably soon.

I haven't had any version of Flash installed for about a year now and I haven't missed it...
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

google chrome has it's own flash type thing ,,,it's what the pepperflash is based on/taken from

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
        Ha! You're asking a lot there, there isn't even a version of Flash for Windows that is secure.

Unless the website is one you need for work, the best long-term solution is probably to bitch and moan at the site owner until they implement HTML5 alternatives to Flash. Most of the video streaming sites have replaced their Flash players with HTML5 alternatives already, since flash isn't at all mobile friendly. Since there's significant market pressure already for site owners to migrate, so the problem should go away reasonably soon.

I haven't had any version of Flash installed for about a year now and I haven't missed it...
        I'm starting to dislike Adobe almost as much as Microsoft then ... and the web site owners who aren't getting rid of Flash. There are still numerous sites that do their videos with Flash. I'll probably give one of these alternatives a try.

Anyone have clues on how to make sure A____ Flash is completely gone? Last time it lingered and kept bugging me to update even after I had uninstalled it.
        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
        ================================

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
          Anyone have clues on how to make sure A____ Flash is completely gone? Last time it lingered and kept bugging me to update even after I had uninstalled it.
          IIRC, the package you install is just an installer, not the binary itself. I remember having this problem too, I had to manually delete the file (but I can't remember where it was)
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I completely removed the Adobe Flash plugin from Firefox recently because I reckon if I can live without it, why put up with it?

I haven't had any problems with YouTube or the like which work fine with HTLM5. Only minor gripe so far was the Speedtest.net site which requires flash. A little Googling found Flash free alternatives to that.

Another problem was Rekonq which kept reminding me about extra packages to enhance my browsing experience = Flash. I stopped that by right clicking on the notification in the system tray and telling it never to tell me about that again.

If I really get stuck and need Flash I can use it in my Xubuntu VirtualBox machine which I also got TV on demand working recently (or alternatively just install the Chrome browser).
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
              Only minor gripe so far was the Speedtest.net site which requires flash.
              speedtest-cli if you want one less needs-Flash annoyance.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                nice one ,,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks ronw,

I hadn't heard of that one before (speedtest-cli). It seems to work well here too.
                  Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                  Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                    Nice!
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Very nice!

Code:
                      life0riley@kubuntu1504:~$ speedtest-cli
                      Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
                      Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
                      Testing from Comcast Cable (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)...
                      Selecting best server based on latency...
                      Hosted by PEAK Internet (Corvallis, OR) [50.28 km]: 33.108 ms
                      Testing download speed........................................
                      Download: 110.08 Mbit/s
                      Testing upload speed..................................................
                      Upload: 10.76 Mbit/s
                      life0riley@kubuntu1504:~$
                      speedtest --share

Not bad for a VirtualBox guest.
                      sigpic

Comment

My ISP sucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thi s is suposed to be their "high" speed

Code:
                        vinny@debian:~$ speedtest-cli --share
                        Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
                        Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
                        Testing from Windstream Communications (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)...
                        Selecting best server based on latency...
                        Hosted by Spirit Communications (Charlotte, NC) [85.19 km]: 2528.175 ms
                        Testing download speed........................................
                        Download: 1.53 Mbits/s
                        Testing upload speed..................................................
                        Upload: 0.57 Mbits/s
                        Share results: http://www.speedtest.net/result/4552171743.png

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Hmmm.
                          speedtest-cli --share

not in 14.04 repos.
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            Hmmm.
                            speedtest-cli --share

not in 14.04 repos.
                            is "speedtest-cli" ,,,,,,,,,the --share is an option of it .

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Yeah, I know --share is an option, I just copied it from your posting that way. But in 14.04, I can't find speedtest-cli, have done everything, not there.
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X