This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Commander clone for Linux is pretty cool

For years I've used Total Commander (formerly Windows Commander) on Windows PCs. I like it because it's automatically a double pane and you can easily right-click to choose files and there are buttons at the bottom for performing functions like copying, deleting, and making directories. I like the thing so much that I've run it under WINE in Kubuntu. Now I won't need to do that anymore. I'm pleased that someone has come out with a Total Commander clone for Linux. It's called Double Commander. I just installed it yesterday. By default, you do the standard Ctrl+[left mouse click] to select files. However, you can change that to a right mouse click in the options. It even colors selected files red just like Total Commander. Here's the version I'm running:

Double Commander
    Version: 0.6.4 beta
    Revision: 6126
    Build date: 2015/07/12
    Lazarus: 1.2.6.0
    FPC: 2.6.4
    Platform: x86_64-Linux-qt4
    OS version: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

Widgetset library: Qt 4.8.6, libQt4Pas 4.5.3
    It's a beta, but it seems stable enough to me. Just thought you guys would like the heads up because Total Commander is usually popular with tinkerers.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

midnight commander is in the repo as well ,,,and has been around for many years ,,,,,,package "mc"

the Double Commander comes in both a GTK and Qt ver. package "doublecmd-qt" or "doublecmd-gtk"

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      midnight commander is in the repo as well ,,,and has been around for many years ,,,,,,package "mc"

the Double Commander comes in both a GTK and Qt ver. package "doublecmd-qt" or "doublecmd-gtk"

VINNY
      I went with the Qt version of Double Commander. I figured it would fit better with a KDE distro than GTK.
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        Midnight commander comes on my ancient systemrescuecd 1.5.6 (which I keep as a talisman, it has helped me out of trouble so often) so it's been widely used for years. It also has emelfm2 which is a GUI, and I see it in muon.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the "commander's" (orthodox file managers). I used to use Total Commander (still the best IMHO) in my Win98/XP days.

I've been using Krusader ever since I started using Kubuntu but I used to use Double Commander back when I was using Ubuntu. I also have Double Commander installed now (QT version) but I generally use Krusader. I do like some aspects of Double Commander over Krusader in some ways (file commenting is one thing) and it's incredibly configurable. It used to be rather unstable but it seems to be more stable now.

This is my Krusader:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Krusader 2.4.0-beta3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	642982

This is my Double Commander:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Double Commander 0.6.4 beta.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	642983
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thew background turns from white to dirty gray suddenly after some operations.

How do I keep the background white?

The only way I have found it to click on the Double Commander spot on the panel which hides DC and then click again which unhides it and brings back the white background.

Also, how do you get it to ignore certain folders. I use nfs and it insists on listing the folders twice: once for their real location and again under the "export" directory. I would like to have it ignore the "export" directory, i.e., not list it. I tried the "ignore list" but couldn't get it to work.
            Last edited by geezer; Jul 29, 2015, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X