This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon Updater hangs then mis-reports in System Tray

15.04 amd64, Plasma 5.2: I just updated flash-installer-plugin. Muon Updater seemed to hang at about 23% in the update-notifier-common phase, then rapidly completed, saying I was completely up-to-date. Good so far, BUT... On closing I glanced at the system tray and the Updater's icon still showed red and the report from it showed 3 still pending 1 security. Wassup'ere?

The updater has a bug where it misreports the number of updates.

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

Lately, I'm using either Apper or apt-get from the Konsole (14.04.2). I avoid Muon entirely.
      I find that using apt-get shows more information about the process. The GUI's are fine, but sometimes they fail without reporting why they failed...

If Muon or Apper fails, try these:

Check for updates:

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Apply updates if they exist:

Code:
      sudo apt-get upgrade
      You may want to use the parameter --fix-missing on the upgrade if you have incomplete upgrade of files. Stuff happens.

Code:
      sudo apt-get upgrade --fix-missing
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I use the Konsole 95% of the time to do updates. I use muon to install specific apps.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Uhh, the upgrade after update is:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          The difference with simple upgrade is that it doesn't just do bug fixes but also installs version upgrades for your specific distribution.
          So it keeps you more up to date.

Comment

@Teunis.

Since I'm running 14.04 and I don't want to upgrade to 15.x, the command is correct for my system.

If your desire is to stay on the "bleeding edge" of latest releases, your command is correct.

I should have been more explicit, thanks.
            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
              @Teunis.

Since I'm running 14.04 and I don't want to upgrade to 15.x, the command is correct for my system.

If your desire is to stay on the "bleeding edge" of latest releases, your command is correct.

I should have been more explicit, thanks.
              Despite the wording of the command, in *buntu, apt-get dist-upgrade does not upgrade one to the next release. It upgrades existing packages, but will also install new ones that may be required. New kernels, or new packages in a KDE release that did not exist previously, or a new depedency it may have come to mind. Using straight apt-get upgrade will NOT install new packages, just upgrade existing ones.

Ubuntu is built around using dist-upgrade, though using upgrade is perfectly fine if one is aware of the difference over dist-upgrade.

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

Claydoh, thanks for the clarification. I was leery of using dist-upgrade because of what the name implied to me.

I do get kernel updates with the upgrade parameter, so that keeps me current on the base.

Due to the severe limitations of my current system, (512 Mb ram, 40Gb HD, single processor) I think I'm safer staying with the upgrade option... I'd hate to suddenly receive a huge lump of code and find my resources can't handle it.
                Thanks again.

Comment

Upgrading kernel to version 4.1.2 seemed to fix the defunct muon issue for me.

Comment

A further (cosmetic?) issue with muon updater: Having successfully done an update I am presented with a red "Quit" button. Why is this not "Done" or "OK", and green? Still waiting for 15.10 to cure the misreporting - backports haven't (yet?) included a fix - this minor change would be a good "usability" step to include here...
                    Hopefully...

Comment

Working...
                    X