This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop gone

Got nfs working on the new laptop and was trying to get ssh communicating between the desktop and the laptop. Could communicate from the laptop to the desktop but not the other way. Was doing some googling on the desktop to research the issue and turned to the laptop and the screen was strange.

I had dolphin and a terminal window open on virtual desktop #4 but now Dolphin and the terminal occupy the whole screen. No panel. If I switch to another virtual desktop with Ctrl-f2 the screen is simply black. No desktop, no panel. The desktop has vanished.

Any way to get the desktop back??

Was spending far too much time trying to find the cure.

Symptoms:
    desktop completely vanished
    extra Virtual desktop - specified 4 in System Settings, KDE thought there was 5
    Could login via KDE, but TTY (On Ctrl-Alt-F(1/2/3/4/5) would not recognize login, so using the tty to fix things was not possible

So it was better use of my time to simply re-install. Well - I learned a few things in searching.

Comment

Oh my god. The endless issues.

Comment

Spoke to soon. Re-installed 15.04. Was busy setting up the programs I use and getting ready to edit fstab, exports, hosts.allow and hosts.deny in /etc

I look at the screen from typing and lo and behold - the virtual desktop and panel had disappeared - again!?!?!?!?!?!?

So I am now in the process of writing 14.04.2 to a USB flash drive and will then install that.

That will tell me if the problem is endemic to the Lenovo h/w and Kubuntu or to Kubuntu 15.04.

Comment

Lol, never install 15.04 unless you like to gamble your life and sanity ;-).

Comment

Okay - I was persistent and found the problem. I have installed 15.04 twice from the USB flash drive and the desktop (and panel) vanishes after doing an update. The first time I waited until I had installed s/w I use all the time and then did the update. Then shortly afterwards the desktop and panel disappeared. Programs worked and I could even use NFS and examine the files on the laptop computer from my desktop computer. Nothing I did restored the desktop.

Re-installed and almost immediately did the update. Within minutes of doing the update the desktop vanished. So, in my mind the update process was somehow the culprit. Went through a lot of research and rebuilt SDDM and the plasma-workspace, reinstalled the Kubuntu-desktop and a few other things. Nothing.

So I Goggled "vanishing Kubuntu desktop" and got a hit: https://askubuntu.com/questions/5640...ers-left-click

Same exact problem and the solution is a simple command: sudo chown yourusername:yourusername ~/.cache/ksycoca5

Then reboot.

This is a known bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=347919

Somehow the update changes the ownership of the file to 'root' and the desktop is gone. Change it back and the desktop is then restored.

I had been Googling trying to find solutions to fix the desktop. Changing the search to the problem instead of the solution got the solution.

So knowing what question to ask in Google is extremely important. I learned that lesson over 50 years back and it seems that I have to relearn it again and again and again and .....

So now putting the Solved in the title is accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
              Lol, never install 15.04 unless you like to gamble your life and sanity ;-).
              Not really accurate or true.

Without challenges, life would be soooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring.

Comment

Nice work, geezer, and very interesting.

So knowing what question to ask in Google is extremely important.
                A point promoted by Rog131 many times. In fact, he posted a link, how to search, but I either deleted it or can't find it at the moment.

(Not to worry about xennex81 and his idle, repetitive, "Linux sucks" philosophy--he's banned for 10 days as of today.)
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

So knowing what question to ask in Google is extremely important.
                  A point promoted by Rog131 many times. In fact, he posted a link, how to search, but I either deleted it or can't find it at the moment.
                  http://www.google.ca/advanced_search
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    In fact, he posted a link, how to search, but I [...] can't find it at the moment.
                    Ah, the irony.

There was a long "how to ask for help" thing online that I once contributed to many years ago. The two things go hand in hand.
                    --
                    Intocabile

Comment

Working...
                    X