X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Install Kwin

First post here on the Kubuntu Forums - Greetings fellow kubuntu lovers

Logged into my Plasma desktop and ran an upgrade as I always do. Long story short I ended up having to reinstall kubuntu-desktop which went fine except kwin didn't install so I tried to install it:
    sudo apt-get install kwin (inst kwin)

Code:
    [FONT=monospace]elijah@NV7915u:~$ inst kwin [/FONT][FONT=monospace][sudo] password for elijah:  
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree        
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      kwin
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/1,511 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 7,960 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    (Reading database ... 345020 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../kwin_4%3a5.3.90+git20150701.1704+15.04-0_all.deb ...
    Unpacking kwin (4:5.3.90+git20150701.1704+15.04-0) ...
    dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kwin_4%3a5.3.90+git20150701.1704+15.04-0_a
    ll.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkwin.so.5.3.90', which is also in package kwin
    -common 4:5.3.90+git20150701.1704+15.04-0
    dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/kwin_4%3a5.3.90+git20150701.1704+15.04-0_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    [/FONT]
    I've seen this kind of error before and what usually fixes it is to delete the file under apt/archives which I did, but I got the same error trying to install kwin. Anyone else having this problem?
    Also the above says that it is trying to overwrite libkwin.so but just to test I moved the file so its no longer there. Why does it think it is?

A malformed package is the likely culprit, as both the kwin and the kwin-common package are containing the same file (which is not supposed to happen)
    This can happen using a very unstable ppa, such as the kubuntu-ci Unstable one. There was a recent clean up and removal of some of these ppas recently, and this one sports the message :
    This PPA depends on disabled archives. it may cause spurious build failures or binaries with unexpected contents.
    It is possible that this is the reason for the problem, but likely it is simply misconfigured.

However, since both packages mentioned in the error are the same version, it will be safe to force one to overwrite the files already provided by the other.

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite  /var/cache/apt/archives/kwin_4%3a5.3.90+git20150701.1704+15.04-0_all.deb
    This should successfully install the kwin package for you.

Comment

Success!

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      A malformed package is the likely culprit, as both the kwin and the kwin-common package are containing the same file (which is not supposed to happen)
      This can happen using a very unstable ppa, such as the kubuntu-ci Unstable one. There was a recent clean up and removal of some of these ppas recently, and this one sports the message :

It is possible that this is the reason for the problem, but likely it is simply misconfigured.

However, since both packages mentioned in the error are the same version, it will be safe to force one to overwrite the files already provided by the other.

Code:
      sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite  /var/cache/apt/archives/kwin_4%3a5.3.90+git20150701.1704+15.04-0_all.deb
      This should successfully install the kwin package for you.

It worked! Thanks for the help

Comment

Cool beans, glad you got it fixed

Comment

Working...
        X