Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to make my new Acer Aspire laptop dual boot with windows 8.1.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to make my new Acer Aspire laptop dual boot with windows 8.1.

I ran windows 8.1 and shrank the ntfs partition containing windows 8.1 so that I had a little over 300 GB for Kubuntu and swap space.

Put the Kubuntu 15.04 Live DVD in the DVD tray and shutdown the laptop. Then powered it back up.

Choose manual configuration and divied the free space into ext4 and swap (about 20 GB for swap ?).

specified the new ext4 partition as the '/' mount point. Choose sda for the boot, the sole hdd.

Then installed.

Could only boot into Windows. After many hours and a few days I have learned about legacy/MBR and UEFI boot. Read many web pages. Supposedly Kubuntu 15.04 is supposed to have automatically install as UEFI (I think). Now I'm really wondering about that.

Maybe the mistake I made is specifying sda for the boot instead of the efi partition (had totally no idea what that was when I started this journey.

Should I instead have specified the efi partition (sda2) instead of just sda?

I've read through most (all?) of the dual boot threads, especially SteveRilley's excellent thread. Unfortunately they all enough different that they do not apply. Either (as in Steve's), windows was not an OEM install or the threads are all bout 14 or earlier and things have changed. Read one post under Ubuntu about installing dual boot and the first thing it said is that the thread no longer applies to 15.04 and points to a different web page that showed the Ubuntu installation which is enough different that it didn't apply also.

If I do another install, should I specify the efi partition (sda2) for the boot instead of just sda?

How does one get Kubuntu on the boot list?

I have played with EasyBCD, but that doesn't really seem to work - just gives an error message that /NST/AutoNeoGrub0.mbr) is corrupt or missing.

Found these 2 web sites (related) and I had already followed the instructions. The second site seems to indicate that the K/Ubuntu installation will automatically do a UEFI install.

https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...roject/windows

https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...t/installation

How do I get that to happen?
    Last edited by geezer; Jun 26, 2015, 02:52 PM. Reason: Added info

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post373198
    SECTION 2: Install your Kubuntu properly in UEFI mode

How to access your firmware setup, boot menus: Most modern computers after about 2011 have UEFI firmware. Check your PC manual to find out how to access your computer's UEFI setup menus (by pressing a special key at the POST (Power-On-Self-Test) screen). Explore the UEFI setup menus, find where the boot menu is. If there is a setting to choose the boot mode (UEFI or BIOS), choose UEFI; also, you do not want CSM (disable it or set to "Auto"); disable Fast Boot; either disable Secure Boot or set it to "Other operating system" (not Windows--unless you have Windows and want to enable it).
    Boot menus: You may have a main (permanent (until you change it)) boot menu and a second boot menu, often called the "boot override" menu, that allows you to select an OS (or other UEFI application) to boot for this one time. The UEFI firmware acts as a boot manager.

How to run the Kubuntu installer: You want to boot your Kubuntu install medium in UEFI mode (not in legacy BIOS/CSM mode). You must have the 64-bit version of Kubuntu (not 32-bit). Then, put your Kubuntu install medium in the PC (the CD/DVD drive, or USB port). Re-boot. At the proper POST time press the correct key to enter your computer's UEFI setup menus. From a boot menu (like the boot override menu), select the entry corresponding to the UEFI mode of your install medium. In that boot menu, you may see more than one entry for your install device, like two or three entries for your DVD, or multiple entries for your USB flash drive. Select an entry that has UEFI or EFI in its description. And proceed as you normally do, installing Kubuntu.
    As for this: Where to put GRUB?, it doesn't matter. In a UEFI installation of Kubuntu, GRUB will automatically be set up in your ESP (which is usually sda1, but yours seems to be sda2, which is OK), no matter what you tell it to do. If you want/need to indicate some location for GRUB, just select sda in the drop-down list offered.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Went through that procedure - the only thing I hadn't done previously was to turn off Secure Boot. Searched Bios and found out how to do that. Turned off secure boot and proceeded to boot. The only thing the Acer bios didn't have was a UEFI entry for the DVD drive. The kubuntu DVD booted in UEFI mode, that I know from the initial screen.

Almost done with the install and an error message popped up that there was a "Fatal Error" installing GRUB on sda. That was NOT Good. The window said to file a bug report using a terminal window - it didn't say how to get a terminal window which would have been useful - so no bug report.

The installation finished and brought up a sign-in screen, but refused my login. I rebooted and Kubuntu was NOT listed as a possible boot OS.

So still no luck in getting Kubuntu installed.

Comment

Sounds like--maybe--you did install Kubuntu, but GRUB somehow got messed up (not unusual!). And you are sure this is all in UEFI; e.g., Windows 7 is there, and it is UEFI.

EDIT: Inserted this:
        Boot Repair!

Can you get this burned to a CD/USB and use it? It would probably fix this booting issue, again assuming that Kubuntu did get installed but that GRUB got messed up:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Boot Repair would handle the stuff I've talked about below--it installs GRUB or fixes the installation you've got.

------------------------------------------------------
        The following may not be necessary -->
        -------------------------------------------------------
        In any case, if you could get booted into Kubuntu (assuming it IS installed), you could re-install GRUB from your Kubuntu.

The usual fix for this is to re-install GRUB from your Live Kubuntu DVD.
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post374017

I do not think you'd have to use the chroot method there. Simply use the Live CD method (without chroot). That should get GRUB installed to your Kubuntu and to the drive. Then boot into your Kubuntu and issue the command
        sudo update-grub
        to get a new and good GRUB boot menu that should include Windows and Kubuntu.

rEFInd is another boot manager for these things (booting UEFI). I have not installed it from Windows, maybe the site tells how:
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372221
        Click the reference there to rodsmith.
        If you could get it installed, then use it to boot into Kubuntu, then install GRUB from your Kubuntu:
        sudo grub-install
        sudo update-grub
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm rather ambivalent on this UEFI/GRUB issue.

First did Kubuntu get installed. I cannot be totally sure until I can get Kubuntu running, but the installation process did complete the first time. The second time it did also, except for the grub installation error.

I think that at this time I would rather get UEFI boot working rather than revert to mbr/legacy/CSM/whatever-name-you-use for the boot method. I know that in the future GRUB will be eventually abandoned and I would rather migrate away from it now rather than later. Rather the pain (learning experience?) now rather than later.

Using Boot-Repair and trying to fix GRUB now is just delaying the pain.

The only issue that I can think of now that would make using legacy boot, is the update issue. The Linux kernal gets updated fairly often. Right now updateing GRUB is a known, stable and well executed procedure and is handled automatically by the updates.

How does the UEFI method get updated when the kernal is updated? Same kind of procedure? I'm sure that the UEFI specs detail the procedure, but does the Linux community fully understand and implemented the procedure? For those who have migrated their Kubuntu installs to the UEFI boot, does the boot files get automatically updated in the process??

I can always change the BIOS settings and revert to the GRUB MBR boot, but, like I wrote, at some time in the future (near/distant?) that method will disappear. I just changed the BIOS boot method to legacy and a message immediately poped-up informing me that dire things could happen and that I would not enjoy the full benefits of Windows 8.1 if I did so. I exited BIOS without changing anything for now. I still want to get UEFI working. Another world domination push by MS. I might have to do that anyway if I cannot get Kubuntu working with UEFI.
          Last edited by geezer; Jun 27, 2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

status: Downloaded Boot-Repair on the desktop and installed on a USB Drive - the web pages were particular that I not use a DVD with pre-installed Windows 8.1. Booted the laptop with the Boot-Repair USB and let it run. It put it's output here:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/11784771/

It then had 2 messages. The first mentioned the efi it created: sda2 /efi/ubuntu/shim64.efi

The second said to run the following command if Kubuntu still wasn't listed when booting:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr}path /EFI/ubuntu/shim64.efi

I found it interesting that it found the following files in the efi partition:

/boot-sav/MokManager.efi /boot-sav/grubx64.efi
            /boot-sav/shimx64.efi /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
            /EFI/ubuntu/MokManager.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
            /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi
            /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
            /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi
            /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/memtest.efi
            /EFI/OEM/Boot/bootmgfw.efi /EFI/OEM/Boot/bootmgr.efi
            /EFI/OEM/Boot/memtest.efi

So it would appear that the Kubuntu installation inserted files in there, but they were never used by the boot manager. Wonder why? Only the MicroSoft and OEM files have ever been listed.

Rebooted and Windows 8.1 came up - no surprise there. Was trying to the windows disk manager to delete the Linux partitions and start again with a "clean" Windows 8.1 hdd. But disk manager complained that the disk was corrupted. I've had problems with the KDE partition editor in the past doing that (surprisingly, to me at least, I've never had that problem with the Gparted partition editor. Apparently they are not exactly the same under the GUI.

SO now I've been waiting for the windows chkdsk utility to scan and fix the disk. 500 GB takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.it's been over an hour so far and it's been stuck at 10% for almost all of that time. Patience.

Then I'm going to use the windows disk manager to re-partition the disk into the partitions I want. This last attempt at installing Kubuntu, I let the installation partition manager reduce the windows partition - I think that was a big mistake. The last time I did that about 8 years back on th eold computer, I had the same problem. Forgot about that until it cropped up again this time. I'll have to keep some notes to never let the installation partition manager touch windows partitions. Maybe it has something to do with the ntfs.

I have found a new web site on dual booting with Windows 8.1.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tired-o...indows-ubuntu/

It has a wrinkle in the process that I have not seen anywhere else. Mainly to mount the windows efi partition as "/boot/efi" during the disk setup phase of the installation. It also duscusses the difference between the UEFI and legacy boot of the Kubuntu Live Boot. I've seen that discussion once before on another web site, so I know that the Kubuntu LiveDVD that I have is booting in the UEFI mode. The tip about mounting the 'efi' partition in the 'boot' diectory kind of makes sense to me. I'll see if it makes any difference. The article implies that, at least under Ubuntu installation, letting the installation s/w decide on the disk partitioning, that mounting option is done automatically. If anybody has a working dual boot with pre-installed windows 8.1 and they let the installation s/w determine the disk partitioning, could they check to see if the efi parition is mounted under the 'boot' directory in Kubuntu?

Comment

We do have some members here who work with Windows + Kubuntu dual boot.

As for the ESP, in Kubuntu, the ESP partition is mounted at /boot/efi (as a standard convention).
              Inside that you will find /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu, where the Kubuntu GRUB boot files go. You will also find /boot/efi/EFI/{whatever_Windows_calls_itself} and the Windows boot files.

It sounds like you are close to getting this to work.

Btw, in my experience, most people here would advise not to use the partition editor in the installer; they would vote for using GParted live CD/USB. Risks always exist, but I have never had GParted cause any problems on my many, many, many disks and OSs through the years.

EDIT:

You will also find /boot/efi/EFI/{whatever_Windows_calls_itself} and the Windows boot files.
              =>
              Looks like Windows uses Microsoft, like this:
              You will also find /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft and the Windows boot files.
              Last edited by Qqmike; Jun 27, 2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I wonder how you got syslinux installed on sdb1?

Code:
                sdb1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
                    Boot sector type:  SYSLINUX 6.03 20150318..................................................2....0............A20 gate n
                    Boot sector info:  Syslinux looks at sector 1327562 of /dev/sdb1 for its 
                                       second stage. SYSLINUX is installed in the  directory. 
                                       No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
                    Operating System:  
                    Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /syslinux.cfg /casper/vmlinuz.efi 
                                       /EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi /ldlinux.sys
                Then I notice that while sda is a GPT, sdb looks like a standard, legacy MBR. I guess that's OK, but why is it not a also a GPT? I have to think about this. Also, I really don't have much experience with syslinux, except to know that, imo, you don't need it, or shouldn't need it.

Comment

Sorry to post again, but I just caught this, too, in the ESP sda2:

/EFI/ubuntu/MokManager.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
                  /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi

I think that's good -- those are the files you need to boot Kubuntu: /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi and
                  /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi.

Comment

See my Edit to #7 above.

Comment

OK, so you are waiting for the check disk thing, then you will re-partition for Kubuntu, then you will try to install Kubuntu again. Your Kubuntu (64-bit) and your GRUB(-EFI) are both UEFI-aware. In theory, the installation should go fine, and they will locate and see and use your ESP partition sda2 (which, I assume was set up by Windows). For most standard installations of OSs, they can and usually will all use and share the same ESP partition, btw; in this case sda2.

Comment

Btw, even though you have two hard drives, sda and sdb, all your OSs can and will share the same ESP at sda2: they can put thir bootloader files in sda2 and boot from those files using UEFI mode.

Your sda drive is partitioned as a GPT (GUID Partition Table), which goes along nicely with a UEFI setup (like you have). Personally, if it were me, unless you have some special, technical reason to use an older, legacy MBR partition table for sdb, I would prefer to partition sdb as a GPT, especially since you seem committed to using the newer UEFI boot mode. That is, I would not try experimenting with "hybrid" systems, where you are using UEFI to boot an MBR disk. Although ... I'm sure you can do it! People do, I think (and they configure a BIOS Boot Partition and possibly use so-called CSM & etc.). Windows is funny about this, it doesn't like hybrid setups. For Windows, use UEFI+GPT or use BIOS+MBR, but don't mix and match in a hybrid configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          I wonder how you got syslinux installed on sdb1?

Code:
                          sdb1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
                              Boot sector type:  SYSLINUX 6.03 20150318..................................................2....0............A20 gate n
                              Boot sector info:  Syslinux looks at sector 1327562 of /dev/sdb1 for its 
                                                 second stage. SYSLINUX is installed in the  directory. 
                                                 No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
                              Operating System:  
                              Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /syslinux.cfg /casper/vmlinuz.efi 
                                                 /EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi /ldlinux.sys
                          Then I notice that while sda is a GPT, sdb looks like a standard, legacy MBR. I guess that's OK, but why is it not a also a GPT? I have to think about this. Also, I really don't have much experience with syslinux, except to know that, imo, you don't need it, or shouldn't need it.
                          sdb1 is the USB drive that I installed Boot-Repair on.

Comment

sdb1 is the USB drive that I installed Boot-Repair on.
                            Ha! Sorry, I missed that or wasn't thinking. That makes things much more clear and easy! One HDD, with UEFI.
                            (I spent the morning out on a HOT desert area, looking at old Indian ruins ... maybe getting too old for that heat!)

Comment

and THAT explains the syslinux boot thing ...

Comment

Working...
                              X