Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why were time/date customization options removed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why were time/date customization options removed?

I've been using Kubuntu for several years and I love it (10.04, 12.04, 14.04) and I just got a new hard drive today so I decided to install 15.04 on it. However I'm dismayed to learn that Kubuntu does not seem to allow customizing date and time formats any more. Instead, all you can do is select a country from the "Time" dropdown, and your time AND date settings are both set to that country's locale settings, including language. This means I can no longer use YYYY-MM-DD dates with 24-hour times in English, or whatever weird combination I happen to prefer.

I don't understand why the Kubuntu team decided to remove this customizability, or if they didn't, I have no idea how to restore it. All I want is for my clock widget to show me 24-hour time and an abbreviated date, just like it's been able to for the last several years. (I also don't understand why the country list in the Time dropdown isn't in strictly alpha order; there's several South African/Swaziland/Botswana/Russia entries at the top of the list, above the main sorted alphabetical list.)

Is there a developer mailing list somewhere whose archives I can peruse to try to find the reasoning behind this change? It seems like a terribly restrictive choice for no apparent reason. I didn't discover this problem until I'd already spent a couple hours migrating over my old data and setting up config in other programs, and I really don't want to have to revert back to 14.04. Thanks.

KDE itself changed this, or rather they had to change this, kinda sorta, as the qt backend Plasma is now using does not allow for such customizations, or something to that effect

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=345378#c8
    This may be remedied in 5.4

A workaround might be to create a custom locale, that has the settings you desire.

Comment

AskUbuntu: http://askubuntu.com/questions/64024...-kubuntu-15-04
      A comment:
      You are using KDE - the KDE has own forum: forum.kde.org . A pick: forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=124741 . A KDE bug report: bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=345378#c8 . A workaround to format the time/clock: askubuntu.com/questions/611240/…
      Last edited by LinkBot; Jun 24, 2015, 12:50 AM.
      Try Me !

Comment

Working...
      X