This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype sound input

I haven't seen Skype offered through the repositories but I download it from their site. Installation went fine and it seems to work ok but the only thing not working is that it fail to recognised my headset microphone. I went through all the settings, set it all up and the voice is picked up all right in the Kubuntu sound settings but Skype cannot use it. Funny but Skype can pick up the voice from my Logitech camera though.
    Is Skype (latest) supported by Kubuntu 15 ?
    Tx
    PS lovely Kubuntu release..

My experience with Skype on Linux (5+ years) on multiple hardware platforms indicates that, for the input, it is always easier to use a USB device, be it headphones or microphone, than the onboard sound chip. Output seems to be OK with the speakers, via Pulseaudio. If you twiddle around between alsamixer and pavucontrol, you can probably eventually get the external microphone to work for a session, but a week later you'll have to twiddle around again -- a PITA. I use an ancient Logitech Quickcam mono webcam, set the pavucontrol configuration for that as the audio input device "Analog Mono Input", and then set "Analog Stereo Output", and it works reliably and holds the settings. Skype then uses Pulseadio and it's all good.

Comment

Thanks dibl. Like you mention I twiddle around with the sound shabang and a miracle happen, I got the mic working. It is really a mess those kde sound controls. I think the mixer get confuse with the Cam input. May be a reboot/skype restart help. Anyway I won’t touch anything from now on. Thanks you.

Comment

Working...
      X